Re: Server and certificate chain

Karl-Dieter Crisman

Nov 12, 2015, 11:15:30 AM11/12/15
to Gutow, Jonathan H, sage-n...@googlegroups.com, sage-support

I strongly recommend using a frontend like ngix or Apache.  The efficiency of the Sagenb server when doing encryption is low.  Let an industrial strength web server handle that and the encryption.  I just proxy a local instance of the Sagenb behind Apache when I want a secure connection and then all the certificate stuff is taken care of by the frontend.   See this pull request which makes things work very cleanly, but has not been incorporated because it changes path names slightly: https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/pull/328

By the way, my plan is to start looking at the active pull requests before US Thanksgiving.  Really wish there was a way to at least redirect the /pub one - is it possible to add a rule somehow for those in one of the server files like flask_version/base.py

@base.route('/pub')

as opposed to the options at https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/pull/328#issuecomment-137893789 that you suggest, which seem to require additional effort by the user?

By the way, does that pull request (which somehow is stale, though I'm not sure how that happened!) allow for using sagenb *without* a proxy?  This just makes it more easy to *use* one, right?  E.g. for local installations on your laptop!

Gutow, Jonathan H

Nov 12, 2015, 11:20:01 AM11/12/15
to Karl-Dieter Crisman, sage-n...@googlegroups.com, sage-support
On Nov 12, 2015, at 10:15 AM, Karl-Dieter Crisman <kcri...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

If I can generate time I will look into this.

By the way, does that pull request (which somehow is stale, though I'm not sure how that happened!) allow for using sagenb *without* a proxy?  This just makes it more easy to *use* one, right?  E.g. for local installations on your laptop!
Without proxying on a local machine sagenb just launches.  The only difference is that it is now at http://localhost:8080/sage/.

Jonathan

                        Dr. Jonathan H. Gutow
Chemistry Department                                 gu...@uwosh.edu
UW-Oshkosh                                                Office:920-424-1326
800 Algoma Boulevard                                 FAX:920-424-2042
Oshkosh, WI 54901
                http://www.uwosh.edu/facstaff/gutow/

Karl-Dieter Crisman

Nov 12, 2015, 11:25:23 AM11/12/15
to Gutow, Jonathan H, sage-n...@googlegroups.com, sage-support
Without proxying on a local machine sagenb just launches.  The only difference is that it is now at http://localhost:8080/sage/.

Would the same be true for a non-proxied launch to the internet? (Assuming one did such a thing.)

Jori Mäntysalo

Nov 13, 2015, 1:53:15 AM11/13/15
to sage-support, sage-n...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I have done that. (On port 443 with authbind.)

--
Jori Mäntysalo