The sage "newui" project

Jack Dyson

Nov 23, 2016, 5:19:54 PM11/23/16
to sage-notebook
Hello all,

Quick question if anyone can help please,

Samuel's newui : was there a reason why you guys didn't put that into the local version of Sagemath a few years back ?

I appreciate everything the Sagemath team have done for all of us in the mathematics community (ALL my research is now done on Sagemath which I intend to cite in upcoming papers, so to us, the software is a godsend).

Having said that, I prefer the local version and Sam's notebook was really good I find (from his tests, since it no longer seems to connect to sagemath in version 7.3) - I wanted to have a go at developing it (alone) if I am upto it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on putting it into Sage if I can get it running or is the mythical cloud notebook close to being added to the local versions as has been stated many times (since 2013 I think).

My opinion is that there should be one notebook system for cloud which has been built around a certain use case, which is great, and one locally for users who prefer that.

There is no real reason why the cloud engine cannot be accessed remotely from the desktop version if the two were connected through a model–view–controller pattern.

The complete separation of the sagemath engine from the frontend is a good thing from a software engineering point of view.

Easier said than done I hasten to add.

If anyone has any experience on setting up Sam's notebook even on a dated copy of sagemath I'd be grateful for any advice.

Best,

jack

William Stein

Nov 23, 2016, 5:49:59 PM11/23/16
to sage-notebook
On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Jack Dyson <jackd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Quick question if anyone can help please,
>
> Samuel's newui : was there a reason why you guys didn't put that into the local version of Sagemath a few years back ?
>
> I appreciate everything the Sagemath team have done for all of us in the mathematics community (ALL my research is now done on Sagemath which I intend to cite in upcoming papers, so to us, the software is a godsend).
>
> Having said that, I prefer the local version and Sam's notebook was really good I find (from his tests, since it no longer seems to connect to sagemath in version 7.3) - I wanted to have a go at developing it (alone) if I am upto it.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on putting it into Sage if I can get it running or is the mythical cloud notebook close to being added to the local versions as has been stated many times (since 2013 I think).

SageMathCloud will not be added to the Sage distribution. There's no
reason or need to do so -- SMC should be distributed and installed
separately, and happens to support running Sage (Latex, etc.).

If you want to easily setup SMC locally, the SMC docker image is here:
https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/blob/master/src/dev/docker/README.md

or you can follow the install directions here for a more involved (and
integrated) installation:

https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/blob/master/INSTALL.md

--
William (http://wstein.org)