smtp problems

Enrique Artal

Dec 17, 2015, 11:58:19 AM12/17/15
to sage-notebook
Hi all,
I am new to this group. In my University we are using sagemath for teaching. It is installed in a server and the students access via the notebook. Until some point (I am not able to say when), the students could recover a new password via the notebook, i.e., they received a random password in their e-mail (only if the address was from the University but this was a minor issue). Now it is impossible, the message never arrives. I think the problem is that we never set up the smtp server of the University, but the problem is that I have no clue where it should be done. I tried some places (tap.py, smtp.py, etc in twisted.mail) with no success. Any help? Thanks in advance, Enrique Arta.

kcrisman

Dec 17, 2015, 12:09:38 PM12/17/15
to sage-notebook
Good question!  Unfortunately I do not know.  Anyone else have an idea?

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 17, 2015, 12:47:11 PM12/17/15
to sage-notebook

On Thursday, 17 December 2015 16:58:19 UTC, Enrique Artal wrote:
Hi all,
I am new to this group. In my University we are using sagemath for teaching. It is installed in a server and the students access via the notebook. Until some point (I am not able to say when), the students could recover a new password via the notebook, i.e., they received a random password in their e-mail (only if the address was from the University but this was a minor issue). Now it is impossible, the message never arrives. I think the problem is that we never set up the smtp server of the University, but the problem is that I have no clue where it should be done. I tried some places (tap.py, smtp.py, etc in twisted.mail) with no success. Any help? Thanks in advance, Enrique Arta.

I guess it must be in notebook/smtpsend.py

The problem is that your server is probably not configured correctly, and its mx records (used to find the smtp server to use) are somehow mixed up.

Enrique Artal

Dec 17, 2015, 12:57:34 PM12/17/15
to sage-notebook
Thanks! It was worse, not configured at all! I am not sure I did the best choice, I defined directly smtp_server with the name of our smtp server, but it works. Best, Enrique Artal.