Community promotion ads on Math.StackExchange

Samuel Lelièvre

Jul 20, 2016, 6:01:50 AM7/20/16
to sage-marketing
Every year there is a campaign for "community promotion ads"
on Math.StackExchange.

The 2016 campaign is at

http://meta.math.stackexchange.com/questions/22419/community-promotion-ads-2016

and we should propose an ad for SageMath.

Note that the size requirements have changed:
- now 300 x 250 pixels
- versus previously 220 x 250 pixels.

Can someone cook this up?

History of Sage ads in these ad campaigns:

- Alex J Best proposed one in the 2013 campaign,
  see the sage-marketing discussion:
  and the proposed ad:
- same ad for the 2014 campaign:
- same ad for the 2015 campaign

Harald Schilly

Jul 20, 2016, 6:10:16 AM7/20/16
to sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
well, good idea, any ideas about the actual text that should be on such an ad?
> --
> --
> ---
> "sage-marketing" group.
> email to sage-marketin...@googlegroups.com.

Samuel Lelievre

Jul 20, 2016, 6:11:36 AM7/20/16
to sage-marketing

2016-07-20 12:01:50 UTC+2, Samuel Lelievre:
To complement the "history" part, it started a year earlier with the 2012 campaign

- sage ad for the 2012 campaign

and the "community-ads" tag reveals the whole list of such posts

- community-ads on meta.math.stackexchange

Samuel Lelièvre

Jul 20, 2016, 6:55:43 AM7/20/16
to sage-marketing

> well, good idea, any ideas about the actual text that should be on such an ad?

"SageMath, the Sage mathematics software system"?

Harald Schilly

Aug 4, 2016, 2:42:30 PM8/4/16
to sage-marketing

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 12:01:50 PM UTC+2, Samuel Lelievre wrote:
Every year there is a campaign for "community promotion ads"...

ok, found some time to try an idea, here it is how it looks:

-- h

William Stein

Aug 4, 2016, 3:22:25 PM8/4/16
to sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's pretty cool! Is the word "system" at the end necessary?
Did you put it there for balance?
> --
> --
> ---
> "sage-marketing" group.
> email to sage-marketin...@googlegroups.com.

William (http://wstein.org)

Harald Schilly

Aug 4, 2016, 3:30:35 PM8/4/16
to sage-ma...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 9:21 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is the word "system" at the end necessary?

​well, "system" is also on the website. I could replace it with "environment" … ?
and yes, the linebreaks and wording are chosen, such that it is roughly equal and fits nicely.

btw: the text in the background is selected copy/paste from the reference manual and then a simple shuffle of the list. I think I only rearranged one line manually, that's all.

-- harald

William Stein

Aug 4, 2016, 3:35:24 PM8/4/16
to sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Harald Schilly
<harald....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 9:21 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is the word "system" at the end necessary?
>

> well, "system" is also on the website. I could replace it with "environment"
> … ?

I always think of it as just "open source mathematical software" --
software is already the noun (and "open source mathematical" are the
adjectives). I don't know what a "system" or "environment" is,
really.

> and yes, the linebreaks and wording are chosen, such that it is roughly
> equal and fits nicely.
>
> btw: the text in the background is selected copy/paste from the reference
> manual and then a simple shuffle of the list. I think I only rearranged one
> line manually, that's all.
>
> -- harald

Harald Schilly

Aug 5, 2016, 9:45:11 AM8/5/16
to sage-marketing
well, polished it a bit, I like it better with environment or system at the end, but nevermind. it's done how it is now.

upvoting would be great :-)

-- harald

Samuel Lelievre

Aug 11, 2016, 7:57:31 AM8/11/16
to sage-marketing

2016-08-04 21:35:24 UTC+2, William Stein:
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Harald Schilly wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 9:21 PM, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> Is the word "system" at the end necessary?
>
> well, "system" is also on the website. I could replace it with "environment"
> … ?

I always think of it as just "open source mathematical software" --
software is already the noun (and "open source mathematical" are the
adjectives).  I don't know what a "system" or "environment" is,
really.

Software is often taken to be uncountable. In that case,
one cannot say Sage is "a software" but "a software system"
or "a piece of software".

Traditions may vary according to people and fields.

The same holds for "code": some would say "a code"
and some would say "a piece of code", "lines of code",
or "a program".