Re: [sage-cloud] sage on HN

Harald Schilly

Feb 27, 2014, 1:20:59 PM2/27/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The confusion in the question about the relationship between sage and
> numpy/scipy suggests ways in which we could clarify what Sage actually
> is, possibly right on the homepage.

> "Create a viable free open source alternative to Magma, Maple,
> Mathematica and Matlab built on top of open source tools such as
> Python, Numpy, Scipy, GAP, Singular, and many others"

I agree, well, I can edit it in that direction and in the long run we
need some sort of re-design anyway. Incremental changes are easier to
do, though.

Years ago I tried to address this misunderstanding by starting that
"tour". It's neither finished nor do I think it is still correct
(didn't look at it for some time), but it's maybe something we have to
work on and then extract the interesting parts for the front page.
http://sagemath.org/tour.html

What we should avoid is to stuff everything together on the front page ...

Harald

William Stein

Mar 2, 2014, 4:19:06 PM3/2/14
to sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Harald Schilly
<harald....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The confusion in the question about the relationship between sage and
>> numpy/scipy suggests ways in which we could clarify what Sage actually
>> is, possibly right on the homepage.
>
>> "Create a viable free open source alternative to Magma, Maple,
>> Mathematica and Matlab built on top of open source tools such as
>> Python, Numpy, Scipy, GAP, Singular, and many others"
>

> I agree, well, I can edit it in that direction and in the long run we
> need some sort of re-design anyway. Incremental changes are easier to
> do, though.

Hi,

I was just looking at the web archive, and sagemath.org used to very
clearly list the components of Sage right on the main page front and
center:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070329234630/http://www.sagemath.org/

Then I redesigned it to look like a flier, thus loosing the components:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080401070409/http://www.sagemath.org/

Finally, you redesigned it again --

http://web.archive.org/web/20091024000247/http://www.sagemath.org/

and it looks almost the same now as it did 5 years ago. We should
start to think about completely redo-ing the site using Bootstrap 3
and git it a modern feel with:

- the components more clearly visible
- change the color scheme from the blue everywhere look, just for variety
- other thoughts?

I don't know who should do the actual re-doing, but let's plan for it to happen.

-- William

> Years ago I tried to address this misunderstanding by starting that
> "tour". It's neither finished nor do I think it is still correct
> (didn't look at it for some time), but it's maybe something we have to
> work on and then extract the interesting parts for the front page.
> http://sagemath.org/tour.html
>
> What we should avoid is to stuff everything together on the front page ...
>
> Harald
>
> --
> --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org
Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 1.11.03 PM.png

Harald Schilly

Mar 2, 2014, 4:31:48 PM3/2/14
to sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We should
> start to think about completely redo-ing the site ...

I'm happy with that, expecially that we should brainstorm about it
first. For example, why bootstrap? Maybe there is a simpler solution?
But as long as the pages load quickly I fine with it.

Another point that I would want to throw in is a static processing of
templates, because there are some pages which are produced by scripts
and unifying that in a common pipeline would be fantastic. (devmap, 3
publications pages, mirrors, component pages and all the download
pages)
What I think about is probably exactly what the sympy website does here:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy.github.com/blob/master/generate

We should probably also come up with a list of questions we want to
answer. E.g. "What is Sage capable of doing?", "How can I start
digging around in the source-code", and "Why the hell does feature XY
not work for me?".

This would for example involve to rework the help pages, to collect
youtube videos about Sage, etc.

Harald

William Stein

Mar 2, 2014, 4:40:50 PM3/2/14
to sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Harald Schilly <harald....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We should
>> start to think about completely redo-ing the site ...
>
> I'm happy with that, expecially that we should brainstorm about it
> first. For example, why bootstrap? Maybe there is a simpler solution?
> But as long as the pages load quickly I fine with it.

Bootstrap is easy to use, extremely popular, and looks good. I also
know it because of using it in SageMathCloud.