Viewpoint Article in Math Intelligencer on open texts

Karl-Dieter Crisman

Jul 1, 2016, 8:48:13 PM7/1/16
to MathBook XML Support, sage...@googlegroups.com, Sage-devel, jhef...@smcvt.edu
The following article cites both Sage and Mathbook XML a fair amount.  And is definitely worth the read, persuasive but also realistic about open texts.    (One of the authors has written a Sage lab manual for his book.)  Rob, probably a link on the MBX site would not be amiss.

The Mathematical Intelligencer

Volume 38, Issue 2, pp 6-9

First online:

Writing an Open Text

William Stein

Jul 1, 2016, 9:03:11 PM7/1/16
to sage-edu, MathBook XML Support, Sage-devel, jhef...@smcvt.edu
> --

William (http://wstein.org)
Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 6.02.15 PM.png

Volker Braun

Jul 2, 2016, 4:38:41 AM7/2/16
to sage-edu, sage-...@googlegroups.com
Oh the irony...

Karl-Dieter Crisman

Jul 2, 2016, 7:53:34 AM7/2/16
to MathBook XML Support, wst...@gmail.com, sage...@googlegroups.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com

The paywall *is* discouraging, isn't it?

My coauthor and I discussed the irony of publishing in a journal of this type, of course, but it seemed to us that when you are in a minority and you want to persuade, then you need to go to where the majority is.

Yep. Thanks for writing this careful and comprehensive piece.

I'll also note that it becomes free in a year.

Does it?  But that isn't true of the Intelligencer in general, is it?