Article with beautiful math and pictures by SageMath in Notices

kcrisman

Dec 11, 2015, 9:09:06 AM12/11/15
to sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com, Harald Schilly
http://www.ams.org/notices/201511/rnoti-p1350.pdf

Especially thanks to Robert Bradshaw for first introducing this in http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/5606 !

(Harald, can you add this book review to the references?  It cites both Sage and its documentation.)

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 11, 2015, 10:29:26 AM12/11/15
to sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com, harald....@gmail.com

FYI, adding references is done via github pull requests at https://github.com/sagemath/publications  :-)

William Stein

Dec 11, 2015, 11:13:17 AM12/11/15
to sage-edu, sage-devel, Harald Schilly
On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 7:29 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 11 December 2015 14:09:03 UTC, kcrisman wrote:
>>
>> http://www.ams.org/notices/201511/rnoti-p1350.pdf
>>
>> Especially thanks to Robert Bradshaw for first introducing this in
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/5606 !

That's awesome!

Minor note in case somebody who doesn't know sage at all is looking at
the article, then finds this thread via a search: it's unfortunate
that the one code snippet they give in the article:

3*(z+1)*(z-i)ˆ2*(z-1+i)ˆ3
complex_plot(f, (-2, 2), (-2, 2))

won't quite work. Instead do

f(z) = 3*(z+1)*(z-i)^2*(z-1+i)^3
complex_plot(f, (-2, 2), (-2, 2))

See

https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/4a5f0542-5873-4eed-a85c-a18c706e8bcd/files/support/2015-12-11-080904-notices-symmetry.sagews

>> (Harald, can you add this book review to the references? It cites both
>> Sage and its documentation.)
>

> FYI, adding references is done via github pull requests at
> https://github.com/sagemath/publications :-)
>
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

Volker Braun

Dec 11, 2015, 11:51:47 AM12/11/15
to sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 5:13:18 PM UTC+1, William wrote:
3*(z+1)*(z-i)ˆ2*(z-1+i)ˆ3
won't quite work.     Instead do

On the plus side its somewhat unlikely that one would enter U+02C6 accidentally instead of ^

Copy&paste from pdf is generally troublesome, anything thats not just letter+number is likely to cough up unicode stuff.

William Stein

Dec 11, 2015, 12:02:02 PM12/11/15
to sage-edu, sage-devel
On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Volker Braun <vbrau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 5:13:18 PM UTC+1, William wrote:
>>
>> 3*(z+1)*(z-i)ˆ2*(z-1+i)ˆ3
>> won't quite work. Instead do
>

> On the plus side its somewhat unlikely that one would enter U+02C6
> accidentally instead of ^

I did the first time I tried to run the code :-). And the error
Python produces is completely useless (just "syntax error" -- we could
probably do better in this case...).

But the real problem is that z won't be defined, hence the need for "f(z) = ..."

> Copy&paste from pdf is generally troublesome, anything thats not just
> letter+number is likely to cough up unicode stuff.

Yes. Is there any solution to this, at least is one is created your
own pdf's using latex? We tried for a while with my Algebraic number
theory book, but gave up...

William

Rob Beezer

Dec 11, 2015, 2:58:43 PM12/11/15
to sage...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel
On 12/11/2015 08:51 AM, Volker Braun wrote:
> Copy&paste from pdf is generally troublesome, anything thats not just
> letter+number is likely to cough up unicode stuff.

Yep, and that's why I've been super-careful about the PDF's produced from
MathBook XML. Left, right, single, double quotes, and dashes are the worst.

This example went from MathBook XML (text editor) to LaTeX to PDF (via xelatex)
to SMC (cut/paste) with no loss.

Rob