user interface for "interact"

Ferenc Beleznay

Nov 25, 2015, 11:32:37 AM11/25/15
to sage-edu
I am a high school mathematics teacher and I would like to get students be actively involved in using computer algebra systems in their math studies. I can successfully advertise Geogebra, but I am not so successful with Sage or Mathematica. I find, that the graphical user interface for geogebra is more attractive, then the text-based coding of Sage (and Mathematica) even though geogebra is much less powerful. What I found, that starting with a graphical user interface helps students get used to geogebra, and when they need to move on, they can add some code bit by bit. The same applies to myself. When I need to produce an illustration, then I can do it much quicker in geogebra.
I like the Manipulate framework in Mathematica and I am trying to experiment with the "interact" command in Sage (I am just a beginner user). What I miss is a graphical user interface for the "interact" command, like the setup of geogebra, where I can place sliders, buttons, ... and attach codes to these.
I searched for such an option, but could not find it. If there is something like this available, can you please guide me to it.
Thanks,
Ferenc Beleznay

kcrisman

Nov 26, 2015, 1:31:20 AM11/26/15
[...]

That would be so nice, right?  But it's fairly nontrivial to execute within the current framework.  BUT I know that some of the IPython types are working a lot on widgets so I could see that in some future version.