1-dimensional wave equations in SMC

Hal Snyder

Oct 12, 2015, 3:07:17 AM10/12/15
to sage-edu
Here's my first go at a published SMC page. Nothing profound. The point is to introduce Sage and SMC idioms for working with a simple differential equation.

Comments on coding style, markup, and math are welcome. Thank you.

David Joyner

Oct 12, 2015, 6:44:30 AM10/12/15
to SAGE edu
Very nice! Thanks for posting.

A suitable animated plot would be nice to illustrate the wave
behavior. It might also slow it down too much. Have you tried it?

Andrey Novoseltsev

Oct 12, 2015, 4:41:27 PM10/12/15
to sage-edu
On Monday, 12 October 2015 04:44:30 UTC-6, David Joyner wrote:
On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Hal Snyder <drx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's my first go at a published SMC page. Nothing profound. The point is
> to introduce Sage and SMC idioms for working with a simple differential
> equation.
>
> https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/db982efa-e439-4e2d-933b-7c7011c6b21a/files/Public/Wave-Equation-Test.sagews
>
> Comments on coding style, markup, and math are welcome. Thank you.

Very nice! Thanks for posting.

A suitable animated plot would be nice to illustrate the wave
behavior. It might also slow it down too much. Have you tried it?

This is for a fixed-ends string, but allows producing animations :-)
http://interact.math.ualberta.ca/DifferentialEquations/Wave_Equation.html

David Joyner

Oct 13, 2015, 6:01:17 AM10/13/15
to SAGE edu
On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Andrey Novoseltsev <novo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 12 October 2015 04:44:30 UTC-6, David Joyner wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Hal Snyder <drx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Here's my first go at a published SMC page. Nothing profound. The point
>> > is
>> > to introduce Sage and SMC idioms for working with a simple differential
>> > equation.
>> >

>> > https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/db982efa-e439-4e2d-933b-7c7011c6b21a/files/Public/Wave-Equation-Test.sagews
>> >
>> > Comments on coding style, markup, and math are welcome. Thank you.
>> >

>> Very nice! Thanks for posting.
>>
>> A suitable animated plot would be nice to illustrate the wave
>> behavior. It might also slow it down too much. Have you tried it?
>

> This is for a fixed-ends string, but allows producing animations :-)
> http://interact.math.ualberta.ca/DifferentialEquations/Wave_Equation.html

That's excellent! Thanks very much.