Python toolkit for music theory

kcrisman

Dec 8, 2015, 2:37:16 PM12/8/15
to sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com
Possibly of interest to some people on these lists - I'd love to see Sage or Jupyter notebooks using this:
http://web.mit.edu/music21/

William Stein

Dec 8, 2015, 5:21:07 PM12/8/15
to sage-edu, sage-devel
Installing music21 is trivial -- just use "pip install music21". I
tried with SMC:

https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/4a5f0542-5873-4eed-a85c-a18c706e8bcd/files/support/2015-12-08-141248-music21.sagews

However, to display music, one would need a way to get a png or svg
image written to a file; it would then be easy to display it inline by
doing smc.file('filename.png').

Question: Is there a way to save one of the music formats to an image
file? How? What other software (something called lilypond?) has to
be installed?

-- William
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

Thierry Dumont

Dec 8, 2015, 6:02:24 PM12/8/15
to sage...@googlegroups.com
It seems great. I'll first play with it...
Then, I'll possibly look tpput it in jupyter/sage
t.d.
> --
tdumont.vcf

Rob Beezer

Dec 8, 2015, 6:06:22 PM12/8/15
to sage...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel
lilypond uses TeX to create "engraved sheet music." So I'd imagine it would
create PDFs that could be converted to other formats.

From a cursory look it appears that music21 has good support for MusicXML so
that might be a way to interoperate between the pieces.

Sample (unencumbered) scores can be found in various formats at:

https://musescore.org/

Rob