Don't Panic! revision of Sage book fixes many typos and adds more!

John Perry

Aug 21, 2017, 10:08:18 PM8/21/17
to sage...@googlegroups.com
Greetings!

You knew today’s eclipse was a bad omen, didn’t you? Indeed, a new e-copy of the Sage-based text, “Peering into Advanced Mathematics with Sage-Colored Glasses,” is now available at this website:

www.math.usm.edu/dont_panic

Various new features include:

- a huge number of typos have been fixed!
(special thanks to Valerio de Angelis at the University of New Orleans)
- a few changes to exposition based on classroom experience
- references to “SageMathCloud” updated to “CoCalc”
- at least one new activity in the Encyclopædia Laboratorica!
- source files now available directly from the website

If it interests you, take a gander!

sincerely
john perry

PS The older edition is available in both full-color and black-and-white hardcopies at lulu.com, while the newer edition will be available in hardcopy Real Soon Now (TM). There is no obligation to buy, not even if you want a paper edition, since the downloadable edition is the same thing (modulo felled trees + chemistry) and you can use it to print, photocopy, share, edit, and all the rest, even for the sake of filthy lucre, without paying us one red cent. (That said, if you want to support Sage & scholarships, feel free to buy a hardcopy.)

John Perry + john....@usm.edu
Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics
University of Southern Mississippi, Box 5045
Hattiesburg MS 39406

You can’t have gone to a good school. Special subjects at our school included French, music, ambition, distraction, uglification, and derision, and washing clothes.
— the Griffin, Alice in Wonderland

kcrisman

Aug 22, 2017, 10:33:46 AM8/22/17
to sage-edu
Nice work, John, Karen, et al!

Henri Girard

Sep 7, 2017, 6:58:03 AM9/7/17
to sage-edu
Well ... You are unfair ! Your book is a marvel ! lol
Thanks to you I do this :
https://github.com/aishenri/sage/blob/master/quadraduresagepifinal.ipynb

john_perry_usm

Sep 7, 2017, 11:05:14 AM9/7/17
to sage-edu
Hello, Henri

That looks really nice; I read enough to see that it has something to do with controversies about squaring the circle. I don't know why we are unfair, but I'm glad you like it.

sincerely
john perry

Henri Girard

Sep 7, 2017, 1:30:09 PM9/7/17
to sage-edu
Hello John,
In fact I missunderstood the message ... lol
I tried to play with words... But I miss it !
Le french academia of sciences is behaving like inquisitors... Controversy often brings new valuable ideas...
For example Leibniz and newton about vis viva ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vis_viva
Best
Henri

kcrisman

Sep 8, 2017, 10:31:38 AM9/8/17
to sage-edu

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 11:05:14 AM UTC-4, john_perry_usm wrote:
Hello, Henri

That looks really nice; I read enough to see that it has something to do with controversies about squaring the circle. I don't know why we are unfair, but I'm glad you like it.

Unfair to yourselves, I think, which I agree is true.

Henri Girard

Sep 8, 2017, 11:53:59 AM9/8/17
to sage-edu
Thanks that's what I meant "unfair to yourself"