building Software Carpentry "lesson" for Sagemath

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 22, 2016, 4:49:01 AM1/22/16
to sage-devel, sage...@googlegroups.com, sage-support, Alexander Konovalov
Software Carpentry, see http://software-carpentry.org, is a charity that does "Teaching basic lab skills for research computing". But goes beyond that; their workshops can include more nontrivial components, e.g. recently GAP people conducted such an introductory GAP workshop:
Such workshop materials are prepared to a standard and are reusable.

As a followup, I did a 3-hour  introduction to Sage there.

Now the idea is to create and run specifically Sage(math) Software Carpentry workshops.
Alex Konovalov (who did the bulk of work for the GAP S.C. workshop, in cc:) created a skeleton git repo for such a
and is assembling a team to work on this. Not sure about the timeline at the moment, but most probably we'd like to organise such a Software Carpentry workshop for Sage(math) in the autumn.

In case you're interested, please get in touch.
Dima

Raniere Silva

Jan 23, 2016, 3:00:10 PM1/23/16
to sage...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel, sage-support, Alexander Konovalov
[Sorry for the cross-post]

Hi Dima,

thanks for the email.
A lesson covering Sage will be great.

Please keep me in the loop about the lesson and the workshop.

And you probably want to send a invitation to dis...@lists.software-carpentry.org.

Cheers,
Raniere
signature.asc

Alexander Konovalov

Jan 24, 2016, 5:39:22 PM1/24/16
to sage...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Dima,

> On 22 Jan 2016, at 09:49, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Software Carpentry, see http://software-carpentry.org, is a charity that does "Teaching basic lab skills for research computing". But goes beyond that; their workshops can include more nontrivial components, e.g. recently GAP people conducted such an introductory GAP workshop:
> https://kkwakwa.github.io/2015-11-16-manchester-codima/
> Such workshop materials are prepared to a standard and are reusable.

This page contains links to all Software Carpentry lessons taught there -
the particular one which I've developed is on GAP:

http://alex-konovalov.github.io/gap-lesson/index.html

and I am thinking of something along the same teaching philosophy for SageMath.

> As a followup, I did a 3-hour introduction to Sage there.
>
> Now the idea is to create and run specifically Sage(math) Software Carpentry workshops.
> Alex Konovalov (who did the bulk of work for the GAP S.C. workshop, in cc:) created a skeleton git repo for such a
> lesson: https://github.com/alex-konovalov/sage-lesson
> and is assembling a team to work on this. Not sure about the timeline at the moment, but most probably we'd like to organise such a Software Carpentry workshop for Sage(math) in the autumn.
>
> In case you're interested, please get in touch.

The best way to get in touch is to leave a comment at:
https://github.com/alex-konovalov/sage-lesson/issues/1
and watch that repository so you will get updates.

Best wishes
Alexander