python modules?

Jorge Garcia

Jun 4, 2013, 6:18:32 PM6/4/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick question: are the turtle.py and python-visual modules available in SAGE?

I ask because I'm having trouble installing these as I have in the past in a new classroom and I seem to remember using turtle in SAGE at some point.

However, I tried using these modules in SAGE recently without success.

TIA,
A. Jorge Garcia

David Joyner

Jun 4, 2013, 8:21:40 PM6/4/13
to SAGE edu
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Jorge Garcia <calc...@aol.com> wrote:
> Just a quick question: are the turtle.py and python-visual modules available
> in SAGE?

This was asked (by you) and answered (by William S.) about 18 months ago:
https://groups.google.com/group/sage-edu/tree/browse_frm/month/2011-11/f95db98d0995cadc?rnum=31&_done=/group/sage-edu/browse_frm/month/2011-11?&pli=1

Is this answer now incorrect?

> I ask because I'm having trouble installing these as I have in the past in a
> new classroom and I seem to remember using turtle in SAGE at some point.
>
> However, I tried using these modules in SAGE recently without success.
>
> TIA,
> A. Jorge Garcia
> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com

Jorge Garcia

Jun 4, 2013, 9:20:39 PM6/4/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com
Yes, William's post was helpful. However, his advice assumes the module in question is installed at the sys level already. What I'm wondering is if vpython and turtle.py are, or will be made, a part of SAGE proper?

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia

David Joyner

Jun 4, 2013, 9:45:14 PM6/4/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013, Jorge Garcia wrote:
Yes, William's post was helpful. However, his advice assumes the module in question is installed at the sys level already. What I'm wondering is if vpython and turtle.py are, or will be made, a part of SAGE proper?

Based on Williams response I would guess the answer is no.

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 6:18:32 PM UTC-4, Jorge Garcia wrote:
Just a quick question: are the turtle.py and python-visual modules available in SAGE?

I ask because I'm having trouble installing these as I have in the past in a new classroom and I seem to remember using turtle in SAGE at some point.

However, I tried using these modules in SAGE recently without success.

TIA,
A. Jorge Garcia

Norbert Domes

Dec 12, 2014, 3:37:59 PM12/12/14
to sage...@googlegroups.com

I suppose it is easier to write a new Sage turtle module than to get Tkinter available inside Sage Cloud or Sage Notebook.

You can find my humble attempt here: http://85.214.246.147:8080/home/pub/201/

Norbert

William Stein

Dec 12, 2014, 4:21:46 PM12/12/14
to sage-edu
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Norbert Domes
<n.d...@kahani.ks.shuttle.de> wrote:
> I suppose it is easier to write a new Sage turtle module than to get Tkinter
> available inside Sage Cloud or Sage Notebook.

Indeed -- Tkinter doesn't even make sense on the web.

Yes, writing a new implementation of turtle designed for the web is a
very good idea.

> You can find my humble attempt here:
> http://85.214.246.147:8080/home/pub/201/

I ported it to SageMathCloud:

https://cloud.sagemath.com/projects/4a5f0542-5873-4eed-a85c-a18c706e8bcd/files/support/2014-12-12-turtle/Sage%20Turtle%20via%20JSXGraph.sagews

You have to click the "Copy to Your Project" button to actually use it.

William

> Norbert
>
> --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

Norbert Domes

Dec 13, 2014, 11:37:11 AM12/13/14
to sage...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for porting my turtle to SageMathCloud. Very nice! I tried, but I didn't know how to do the html output with a moving turtle inside SageMathCloud.

I am sorry, I forgot to mention a newer version with multiple turtles on one screen, some more turtle methods and some improvements like symbolic expressions as arguments (for example t.forward(sqrt(200)) ).

See:
http://85.214.246.147:8080/home/pub/202/

Norbert