gambit does not build (sage 8.2.beta6)

Vincent Delecroix

Feb 19, 2018, 2:29:18 AM2/19/18
to sage-devel
Dear all,

The optional package gambit does not build on my machine (the quasar
patchbot). See log attached.

Best
Vincent
gambit-15.1.1.log.gz

kcrisman

Feb 20, 2018, 10:03:37 AM2/20/18
to sage-devel

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 2:29:18 AM UTC-5, vdelecroix wrote:
Dear all,

The optional package gambit does not build on my machine (the quasar
patchbot). See log attached.

I've emailed one of the people responsible for initially getting gambit in Sage; hopefully it's a minor issue to fix, or unique to some unusual Python setup.

Travis Scrimshaw

Feb 21, 2018, 1:24:58 AM2/21/18
to sage-devel
I get the same on my Ubuntu desktop with essentially the same log.

Best,
Travis

Jeroen Demeyer

Feb 21, 2018, 7:41:10 AM2/21/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
If somebody wants to fix this, you should try pip. gambit is currently
one of the few Python packages that are installed using the classical
setup.py script instead of pip.

Changing to pip is an obvious thing to do anyway and it might even fix
the problem.

Matthias Koeppe

Feb 22, 2018, 8:28:05 PM2/22/18
to sage-devel

Jeroen Demeyer

Feb 23, 2018, 3:27:23 AM2/23/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2018-02-23 02:28, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> See https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21864

Interesting. The upstream issue is also related to header files. It
might be that the way how we worked around the upstream issue no longer
works with the new build system changes in Sage.

Dima Pasechnik

Feb 23, 2018, 4:29:43 AM2/23/18
to sage-devel
the attached log  points out at a non-existent gambit/gambit.h.
How about adding it as a link to libgambit/gambit.h ?

Samuel Lelievre

Feb 27, 2018, 12:48:04 PM2/27/18
to sage-devel
Fri 2018-02-23 08:27:23 UTC, Jeroen Demeyer:
Dear sage-devel,

I emailed the maintainer of Gambit to try and raise the priority of
Gambit issue #207 which seems to prevent making it pip-installable:

I said making Gambit pip-installable would help with its integration
in SageMath, as more and more of Sage's standard or optional packages
are being made pip-installed, Gambit having been left out for now at:

    Sage #21864: Use pip install for more packages

I also pointed to the present sage-devel discussion:

    sage-devel discussion: gambit does not build (sage 8.2.beta6)

The maintainer of Gambit does "not have time nor resource to deal with
packaging at the moment", but "would certainly gladly accept patches",
saying "it is a very straightforward project to restructure the build
suitably, simply one that I do not have the time to do myself".

So if anyone knows what to do and can submit a patch upstream, that
would be wonderful.

Kind regards, Samuel