graph_editor in cloud.sagemath

fidelbc

Jun 24, 2015, 1:04:43 PM6/24/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, Nathann Cohen
Hello Everyone,

Hope this is the right group to ask this. There is something I miss from the sage notebook at cloud.sagemath: the graph_editor.

Does anybody know if there is any such feature being planned for cloud.sagemath?

I'd be happy to contribute some code for this. How hard is it to contribute code to cloud.sagemath? I'm mostly worried about how to run tests.

Thanks,
Fidel

William Stein

Jun 24, 2015, 2:19:50 PM6/24/15
to sage-devel, Nathann Cohen, sage-cloud, Radoslav Kirov
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM, fidelbc <fidel....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Hope this is the right group to ask this. There is something I miss from the
> sage notebook at cloud.sagemath: the graph_editor.
>
> Does anybody know if there is any such feature being planned for
> cloud.sagemath?

This isn't planned, in that it's not on the issue list here:

https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/issues

> I'd be happy to contribute some code for this. How hard is it to contribute
> code to cloud.sagemath?

Right now it's nearly impossible. That is rapidly changing, since
making development by outsiders easier is our current top priority.

> I'm mostly worried about how to run tests.

"npm test" and see the test/ directory [1]. Our test coverage is
still not very good though [2].

[1] https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/tree/rethinkdb/salvus/test
[2] https://coveralls.io/builds/2887967

Given the current development direction, I think the best way for you
to proceed would be to write a graph editor as a standalone React.js
component. It would take a description of the graph as params, let
you manipulate it (e.g., add vertices, edges, etc.,) saving that as
internal state, and have a "save" button that would call a callback
function with the new state. If you made such a React component, it
would then be easy to implement into a future version of SMC, and
would also be useful to other people. This might be useful: [3]

[3] https://github.com/Flipboard/react-canvas

-- William

William (http://wstein.org)