Re: sagemath 6.9 Ubuntu PPA: Error typesetting mathematics

Jan Groenewald

Nov 2, 2015, 1:55:27 PM11/2/15
to Samuel Lelièvre, sage-devel
Hi

This might be a leftover error from a previous versio nwhen mathjax moved. Please try

sudo -i
cd /usr/lib/sagemath/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sagenb-0.11.4-py2.7.egg/sagenb/data/
rm -rf mathjax
ln -s ../../../../../../share/mathjax/

Or inspect first whether that symlink is there already?

If it is actually a PPA error (I doubt it, I think we fixed in 6.6) we will look at uploading a fix.

Regards,
Jan

On 2 November 2015 at 20:22, Samuel Lelièvre <samuel....@gmail.com> wrote:
Follow-up: When I launch the Jupyter notebook, I get this warning:

"""
Failed to retrieve MathJax from '../nbextensions/mathjax/MathJax.js'

Math/LaTeX rendering will be disabled.

If you have administrative access to the notebook server and a working
internet connection, you can install a local copy of MathJax for
offline use with the following command on the server at a Python or
Jupyter prompt:

>>> from Jupyter.external import mathjax; mathjax.install_mathjax()

This will try to install MathJax into the Jupyter source directory.

If Jupyter is installed to a location that requires administrative
privileges to write, you will need to make this call as an
administrator, via 'sudo'.

When you start the notebook server, you can instruct it to disable
MathJax support altogether:

$ ipython notebook --no-mathjax

which will prevent this dialog from appearing.
"""

--
  .~.
  /V\     Jan Groenewald

Ding Pan

Nov 6, 2015, 12:48:50 PM11/6/15
to sage-devel, samuel....@gmail.com
Thanks Jan!
Replacing mathjax fixed the problem.
Hope there will be a fix in PPA too.

Ding

Jan Groenewald

Nov 6, 2015, 1:30:18 PM11/6/15
to sage-devel, Samuel Lelièvre
A new install from the PPA will work. It is unfortunately some upgrades since 6.6 that don't. Maybe we can add a sage-fix-mathjax.sh script. Or do it in postinst. I think we did for a while.

Regards,
Jan

Samuel Lelievre

Nov 7, 2015, 1:31:13 PM11/7/15
to sage-devel, samuel....@gmail.com
Thanks! the suggested steps fixed the MathJax problem for the PPA
install at our department.

Other computer rooms at our university (outside our department,
and with a different maintainer) also have SageMath 6.6 installed.
Would you recommend to first uninstall 6.6 there, and then install 6.9,
to avoid the MathJax problem?

Best,
Samuel

Jan Groenewald

Nov 7, 2015, 1:34:40 PM11/7/15
to sage-devel, Samuel Lelièvre
Hi Samuel,

Yes, as far as I know a purge and then an install will work. Please let me know.

Regards,
Jan