removing the dev scripts

Vincent Delecroix

May 7, 2015, 6:06:33 AM5/7/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

dev script are a mess (see #18356). Could I remove everthing in
sage/dev/ that is related to communication with the git server or the
trac server? The function would provide help and links to the
documentation instead.

I also want to keep the import-patch feature that is definitely useful.

Cheers,
Vincent

Jeroen Demeyer

May 7, 2015, 6:31:46 AM5/7/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-05-07 12:06, Vincent Delecroix wrote:
> Hello,
>
> dev script are a mess (see #18356). Could I remove everthing in
> sage/dev/ that is related to communication with the git server or the
> trac server?

Please don't!

I still use the dev script occasionally for read-only access to the Trac
server. One major advantage that the dev scripts have over "git trac" is
that they work out of the box, without installing or configuring anything.

Volker Braun

May 7, 2015, 4:36:45 PM5/7/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
We could add "git trac" as a standard package now, I haven't made any changes outside of the release management stuff in a while....

kcrisman

May 7, 2015, 5:04:28 PM5/7/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
> Hello,
>
> dev script are a mess (see #18356). Could I remove everthing in
> sage/dev/ that is related to communication with the git server or the
> trac server?

Were they already deprecated, though?  In that event there should be a well-defined time at which they could be removed.

Nathann Cohen

May 7, 2015, 5:47:41 PM5/7/15
to Sage devel
> Were they already deprecated, though? In that event there should be a
> well-defined time at which they could be removed.

The documentation has been removed in #17555. If I remember correctly,
the associated sage-devel thread settled on something like "we stop
advertising them but will keep the code for a while, for those who
still use them".

Nathann

Dima Pasechnik

May 7, 2015, 5:50:23 PM5/7/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

undocumented things don't exist!

Nathann

Jeroen Demeyer

May 8, 2015, 1:56:56 AM5/8/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-05-07 22:36, Volker Braun wrote:
> We could add "git trac" as a standard package now, I haven't made any
> changes outside of the release management stuff in a while....

It's not just about installing them, it's also about making it work
without configuration:

$ ./sage --git trac checkout 18330
git_trac.git_error.UserEmailException: user/email is not configured,
cannot make commits

It should not be required to configure email to checkout a ticket.

Vincent Delecroix

May 8, 2015, 4:26:05 AM5/8/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
This is very bad. I agree that pulling from trac should work without any
configuration. What about explicit deprecation of the scripts that
modifies tickets/remote git branches?

Vincent

Jeroen Demeyer

May 9, 2015, 4:04:47 AM5/9/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-05-08 10:26, Vincent Delecroix wrote:
> What about explicit deprecation of the scripts that
> modifies tickets/remote git branches?
I agree 100% with *deprecating* the dev scripts, I was just complaining
about *removing* them.

Dima Pasechnik

May 9, 2015, 6:12:22 AM5/9/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

this is surely a small change to be done; I opened
https://github.com/sagemath/git-trac-command/issues/22

Dima

Nicolas M. Thiery

May 12, 2015, 3:17:55 AM5/12/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 07:56:51AM +0200, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> On 2015-05-07 22:36, Volker Braun wrote:
> >We could add "git trac" as a standard package now, I haven't made any
> >changes outside of the release management stuff in a while....

This would be nice! As well as for configuration-free read only
operations. During the recent Sage days I attended, this was one of
those little-yet-annoying hurdles we faced when training new devs.

Cheers,
Nicolas
--
Nicolas M. Thiéry "Isil" <nth...@users.sf.net>