Running 'make' twice triggers a gcc rebuild

John H Palmieri

Oct 1, 2015, 1:49:35 AM10/1/15
to sage-devel
Anyone seen this? On one OS X machine, with two different installations of Sage 6.9.rc0 (one built by upgrading earlier versions, one built from a fresh tarball), if I do this:

$ make distclean
$ make
$ make

then the second time, although it should do almost nothing, it rebuilds gcc. I recently upgraded from Xcode 7.0 to 7.0.1; could that cause it? Any other ideas of what might cause it?

--
John

Peter Bruin

Oct 1, 2015, 3:11:22 AM10/1/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

John H Palmieri <jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone seen this? On one OS X machine, with two different
> installations of Sage 6.9.rc0 (one built by upgrading earlier
> versions, one built from a fresh tarball), if I do this:
>
> $ make distclean
> $ make
> $ make
>
> then the second time, although it should do almost nothing, it
> rebuilds gcc.

Something similar happened to me on an x86_64 GNU/Linux machine where
the system version of GCC is 4.6.3. When typing "make" a second time
after upgrading to 6.9.rc0, it started reinstalling GCC; I don't know
what caused this, but prevented the rebuilding by simply doing "touch
local/var/lib/sage/installed/gcc-4.9.2.p1".

Peter

Jeroen Demeyer

Oct 1, 2015, 3:28:52 AM10/1/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-10-01 07:49, John H Palmieri wrote:
> Any other ideas of what might cause it?

It must be the recent build system changes.

Jeroen Demeyer

Oct 1, 2015, 4:39:47 AM10/1/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
For a possible fix, see