Unable to compile 8.0.rc2 on mac

Andrew

Jul 18, 2017, 12:32:52 AM7/18/17
to sage-devel
I'm trying to compile the current sagemath dev version 8.0.rc2 but am continually getting an error with mpir-3.0.0.p0. I've tried

git clean -f -d -x && make clean && make build

but cannot get it to compile. I have a macbook pro that is using macosx 10.12.5 with xcode 8.3.3 (build 8E3004b) and xcode-select version 2347. The latest build log is attached.

Any ideas how to get around this?

Andrew

install.log

François Bissey

Jul 18, 2017, 12:54:56 AM7/18/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
You appear to have some relatively recent hardware. I am suspecting
that the combination OS X + skylake cpu hasn’t had a lot of testing.
Not sure how to get around that really.

François
> --
> <install.log>

Andrew

Jul 18, 2017, 2:47:58 AM7/18/17
to sage-devel
I managed to compile 8.0.beta4 without issues but perhaps xcode has changed in the interim...

Andrew

François Bissey

Jul 18, 2017, 3:36:30 AM7/18/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
No 8.0.beta4 had an older version of mpir.

François

Andrew

Jul 18, 2017, 10:45:32 AM7/18/17
to sage-devel
You're probably right as I have managed to rebuild 8.0.beta4 from scratch. I won't attempt to build for a while:)

Thanks.
Andrew

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 18, 2017, 10:59:27 AM7/18/17
to sage-devel
Surely MPIR guys would appreciate feedback.
This might be their assembler bug.

Andrew

Jul 18, 2017, 7:46:48 PM7/18/17
to sage-devel

On Wednesday, 19 July 2017 00:59:27 UTC+10, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
Surely MPIR guys would appreciate feedback.
This might be their assembler bug.

Will let them know.
A.

Bill Hart

Jul 19, 2017, 5:12:37 AM7/19/17
to sage-devel
Alex Best pointed out this morning that something similar came up for the GMP guys a while back. Apparently something to do with jump tables. That is probably affecting our code here [1].

We'll look into it. Unfortunately, in the mean time, the best one can really do is delete the affected file.

Bill.

Bill Hart

Jul 19, 2017, 5:15:09 AM7/19/17
to sage-devel
It's certainly not a generic problem affecting Mac [0]. It's Skylake specific and something their linker doesn't like that works on that architecture on Linux.

Bill Hart

Sep 4, 2017, 6:16:40 AM9/4/17
to sage-devel, mpir-devel
Reimer Behrends has helped me track down the explicit issue. We don't have a patch yet, but the bug (and solution) is described here [1].

Basically the M4 macro JMPENT in mpn/x86_64/x86_64-defs.mac needs to do more than just subtract the two addresses on Mac. However, I'm confused why this isn't affecting every 64 bit Skylake Mac out there. But his has only been reported twice! Are Skylake Macs really rare or something?

Bill.

David Roe

Sep 5, 2017, 2:21:57 AM9/5/17
to sage-devel, mpir-devel
I have a Mac with a Skylake processor and have also observed this problem.  I've been following this discussion a bit, but have recently been mostly developing Sage on a server instead....
David