Cython 0.26 released

Jeroen Demeyer

Jul 20, 2017, 5:06:01 AM7/20/17
to sage-devel
Cython 0.26 has been released today. There is a ticket for upgrading in
Sage: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/23360

Two important notes:

- For the first time since long, the Sage distribution now builds with a
100% vanilla Cython, no patches are required. I hope this will make
packagers happy!

- Cython now supports pickling for cdef classes. This is enabled by
default in Cython, but I disabled it for Sage because we have lots of
custom pickling support. It can be enabled in specific cases with

cimport cython

@cython.auto_pickle(True)
cdef class Foo:

François Bissey

Jul 20, 2017, 5:12:48 AM7/20/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage-packaging
Copying sage-packaging. This is great news!

Now some more details about that pickling support. People
working on distro may very well want to ship cython with
that support enabled. Is it dangerous or do you disable it
as a security to make absolutely sure it doesn’t have an
impact on sage?

François

Jeroen Demeyer

Jul 20, 2017, 5:56:23 AM7/20/17
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com, sage-devel
On 2017-07-20 11:12, François Bissey wrote:
> Now some more details about that pickling support. People
> working on distro may very well want to ship cython with
> that support enabled.

It's not a different way of shipping Cython. It's just setting a flag in
the setup.py of Sage. See the bottom of
https://git.sagemath.org/sage.git/diff?id=23d258ad1f83c354c3163941c7745d5eada63f25

So this shouldn't affect distros at all.