New version of Windows installer--where best to announce?

Erik Bray

May 18, 2018, 12:23:03 PM5/18/18
to sage-devel
I've already had the Windows build for Sage 8.2 out since shortly
after 8.2 was released.

However, I'm putting together a new version of the installer with some
new Windows-specific fixes (and will continue to release even further
new versions after this one I expect).

Some of these improvements in the Windows version are features that
users have specifically asked for and will want to know about. Where
would be the best place to announce these new updates to the Windows
release (which are mostly updates just to the installer, and not to
Sage itself).

sage-release? sage-announce? sage-support?

Not sure.

Thanks,

Vincent Delecroix

May 18, 2018, 12:42:03 PM5/18/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
This is great!

I think that sage-release (for developers) + sage-support (for users)
would make sense. Perhaps not exactly the same message.

On the other hand, having the changelog easily accessible on the main
website sagemath.org would be nice. But as this is not the case for sage
itself, not sure it is worth it.

Possibly related: why is this not on the Sage mirrors? clicking from
sagemath.org on "Download -> Windows" I have access to the virtual box
versions that are much less satisfactory than the cygwin one.

Best
Vincent

Travis Scrimshaw

May 18, 2018, 1:02:28 PM5/18/18
to sage-devel

On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 11:42:03 AM UTC-5, vdelecroix wrote:
This is great!

+1

I think that sage-release (for developers) + sage-support (for users)
would make sense. Perhaps not exactly the same message.

I would also cross-post the sage-release to sage-devel too.

On the other hand, having the changelog easily accessible on the main
website sagemath.org would be nice. But as this is not the case for sage
itself, not sure it is worth it.

Possibly related: why is this not on the Sage mirrors? clicking from
sagemath.org on "Download -> Windows" I have access to the virtual box
versions that are much less satisfactory than the cygwin one.

+1

Samuel Lelievre

May 19, 2018, 7:48:52 AM5/19/18
to sage-devel
Fri 2018-05 16:42:03 UTC, vdelecroix:

> This is great!

+1

> I think that sage-release (for developers) + sage-support (for users)
> would make sense. Perhaps not exactly the same message.

Yes.

> On the other hand, having the changelog easily accessible on the main
> website sagemath.org would be nice. But as this is not the case for sage
> itself, not sure it is worth it.

The changelogs for stable versions are easily available at

Only the last one is missing, but hopefully Jeroen is on it.

Maybe we could have a few lines of recent news on the main page
of the website, with news such as stable or devel releases, and
updates to various distributions of Sage, eg
- Sage Debian Live x.y released
- Updated Sage-Windows x.y released
- Sage x.y packaged for Debian
- Sage x.y

> Possibly related: why is this not on the Sage mirrors? clicking from
> sagemath.org on "Download -> Windows" I have access to the virtual box
> versions that are much less satisfactory than the cygwin one.

Not sure what you mean here.

The "download-windows" page

has this big warning at the top:

    Note: For Windows installer binaries see
    the GitHub releases page.

with a link to

and then when you click a link to one of the mirrors
(say for the main mirror) you get to

which only has the "SageMath-x.y.exe" which are the
native Windows installers, not the images for virtual
machines.

Samuel

Samuel Lelièvre

May 19, 2018, 7:57:48 AM5/19/18
to Sage-devel

> Fri 2018-05 16:42:03 UTC, vdelecroix:
>
> > This is great!
>
> +1
>
> > I think that sage-release (for developers) + sage-support (for users)
> > would make sense. Perhaps not exactly the same message.
>
> Yes.
>
> > On the other hand, having the changelog easily accessible on the main
> > website sagemath.org would be nice. But as this is not the case for sage
> > itself, not sure it is worth it.
>
> The changelogs for stable versions are easily available at
>
>     http://www.sagemath.org/changelogs/
>
> Only the last one is missing, but hopefully Jeroen is on it.
>
> Maybe we could have a few lines of recent news on the main page
> of the website, with news such as stable or devel releases, and
> updates to various distributions of Sage, eg
> - Sage Debian Live x.y released
> - Updated Sage-Windows x.y released
> - Sage x.y packaged for Debian
> - Sage x.y

Oops, pressed "send" in a hurry here. What I meant with the
last two items was

- Sage x.y packaged for Z (with Z in [Conda, Debian, Fedora, Nix, ...])
  (with brief installation instructions such as "conda install sagemath"
  or "sudo apt install sagemath-jupyter" etc.)

Dima Pasechnik

May 19, 2018, 1:07:53 PM5/19/18
to sage-devel
one way or another, there is also sage-windows
surely it should be there.

Samuel Lelievre

May 20, 2018, 6:15:03 AM5/20/18
to sage-devel
Fri 2018-05-18 16:23:03 UTC, Erik Bray:
We keep sage-announce very low-traffic, but I think this is worth
posting on sage-announce, with a description the new features.

Eric Gourgoulhon

May 20, 2018, 11:39:00 AM5/20/18
to sage-devel
Hi,

Le samedi 19 mai 2018 13:48:52 UTC+2, Samuel Lelievre a écrit :

> Possibly related: why is this not on the Sage mirrors? clicking from
> sagemath.org on "Download -> Windows" I have access to the virtual box
> versions that are much less satisfactory than the cygwin one.

Not sure what you mean here.

The "download-windows" page

has this big warning at the top:

    Note: For Windows installer binaries see
    the GitHub releases page.

with a link to

and then when you click a link to one of the mirrors
(say for the main mirror) you get to

which only has the "SageMath-x.y.exe" which are the
native Windows installers, not the images for virtual
machines.

It is nice that the native Windows installers are now the default on the mirrors.
Accordingly, the message
"Below are the VirtualBox images:"
should be removed from
since it is no longer true.

Best wishes,

Eric.

Samuel Lelièvre

May 20, 2018, 4:58:53 PM5/20/18
to Sage-devel

> Le samedi 19 mai 2018 13:48:52 UTC+2, Samuel Lelievre:
Thanks for pointing this out. Changing this is now tracked at

Erik Bray

May 21, 2018, 8:41:54 AM5/21/18
to sage-devel
Yes, I think that makes the most sense. I don't believe new releases
of the Windows *installer* are of immediate interest to most people
doing Sage *development*: Not that many people are doing Sage
development on Windows. And those who are are building from source
and not using the binary installer (which is currently useless for
development, though the recent changes I've made will make it more
useful to make either a separate "development" installer or a separate
option in the installer for development, which would include the
minimum to get up and running with Sage development in Cygwin on
Windows).

In other words, I believe the best place to announce something like
this is wherever the vast majority of users will see it, who might not
otherwise be following day-to-day Sage discussion. I forgot there was
a sage-windows mailing list but it should go there too obviously.

Samuel Lelièvre

May 21, 2018, 4:55:05 PM5/21/18
to Sage-devel

> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Samuel Lelievre:
Yes, post to sage-announce and sage-windows.

Also, add a comment or answer at each Ask Sage
question that requested any of these new features.