Embedding graphs on the projective plane

Joshua Fallon

Oct 18, 2016, 1:59:09 PM10/18/16
to sage-devel
Hi all, Sage rookie here. I've been working on writing functions to test whether a graph can be embedded on the projective plane, as in Myrvold and Roth's paper (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.45.1102&rep=rep1&type=pdf). I'm still working out some bugs, and working on transitioning from Sage functions to adding methods to the graphs class, but I think this could be a useful tool for Sage to have. My first step is a decomposition of two-connected graphs into three-blocks (cycles, cocycles, and 3-connected graphs) as described by Tutte and Cunningham and Edmonds (or call it SPQR-trees, if you like). I have this method in my local Sage source code and I think it's worthwhile to have in its own right alongside blocks_and_cuts_tree. I'd like to use this smaller method to make a first small foray into actual contribution to Sage.

Is it worth requesting a trac account now for the decomposition, or should I hold off until the whole embeddability tester is running in my local source code (assuming there's interest in that function itself)?

Best,
Joshua Fallon

Vincent Delecroix

Oct 18, 2016, 2:37:45 PM10/18/16
to sage-devel
Dear Joshua,

Welcome to Sage development! It is good idea to ask for a trac account
for the following reasons
* create a ticket on trac.sagemath.org that makes your project public
* upload your code changes on the git server and make your code
publicly available for discussion

Did you already have a look at the developer guide to see how all this works?

Best,
Vincent

Joshua Fallon

Oct 18, 2016, 3:42:29 PM10/18/16
to sage-devel
Hello Vincent,

Thank you! I did review the developer guide; the admonition there to check here for interest in a topic before requesting a trac account is what brought me here. I'll go ask for a trac account.

Best,
Joshua

Dima Pasechnik

Oct 19, 2016, 10:16:32 AM10/19/16
to sage-devel

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 6:59:09 PM UTC+1, Joshua Fallon wrote:
[...]

would be great to have, sure, go ahead.

Best,
Joshua Fallon

David Coudert

Oct 21, 2016, 10:55:11 AM10/21/16
to sage-devel
I'll be happy to help reviewing a ticket on SPQR-trees. Definitively useful.
An option could be to interface OGDF - Open Graph Drawing Framework (http://www.ogdf.net/). It has static and dynamic implementations of SPQRtrees, but it might be too challenging for a first contribution.
David.