Error installing sage, with R 3.4.3

James Barry

May 16, 2018, 9:58:57 AM5/16/18
to sage-devel
Hello,

today I tried installing sage, I am running Ubuntu 17.10 and already have anaconda installed, though I have not installed R before.

The sage installation worked well except for the R part, see attached log file. I have tried opening sage and it works.

What to do?

Best regards,
James
r-3.4.3.p0.log

Samuel Lelievre

May 16, 2018, 10:29:44 AM5/16/18
to sage-devel
If you don't specifically need R functionality,
just use the version of SageMath you obtained,
you should be fine.

Dima Pasechnik

May 16, 2018, 10:38:07 AM5/16/18
to sage-devel

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 2:58:57 PM UTC+1, James Barry wrote:
Hello,

today I tried installing sage, I am running Ubuntu 17.10 and already have anaconda installed, though I have not installed R before.

It might be anaconda that breaks the installation somehow. Namely, Ubuntu 17 does not come with libiconv at all.
Or perhaps it's some other stale stuff.

Could you try temporarily uninstall anaconda and try making Sage again?

James Barry

May 16, 2018, 11:20:29 AM5/16/18
to sage-devel
That could work. Dumb question, but should I be able to launch sage from anywhere, ie on the command line? It seems like I have to navigate to the sage folder first...

James Barry

May 16, 2018, 11:21:52 AM5/16/18
to sage-devel
Thanks for the tip. Yes I have actually had this problem before with libiconv and anaconda.

Would you recommend removing anaconda completely and not installing it again?

Samuel Lelievre

May 17, 2018, 12:07:51 AM5/17/18
to sage-devel
Wed 2018-05-16 17:20:29 UTC+2, James Barry:

> That could work. Dumb question, but should I be able to launch
> sage from anywhere, ie on the command line? It seems like
> I have to navigate to the sage folder first...

You could once and for all navigate to the sage folder and run
the following in a  terminal:

    sudo ln -sf `pwd`/sage /usr/local/bin

after which you should be able to start Sage from anywhere by
just running

    sage