recipe for target 'ecl-16.1.2.p4' fail

Johannes Martin

Oct 9, 2017, 2:57:23 PM10/9/17
to sage-devel
I tried to install sage-8.0 from source on opensuse linux 42.3
following the standard procedure
configure
make

Any help will be appreciated,
Johannes Martin.
ecl-16.1.2.p4.log

François Bissey

Oct 9, 2017, 3:09:54 PM10/9/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
What version of ffi (possibly libffi) is one the system?

François
> --
> <ecl-16.1.2.p4.log>

Johannes Martin

Oct 9, 2017, 3:58:23 PM10/9/17
to sage-devel
libffi4 5.3.1+r233831-10.1

François Bissey

Oct 9, 2017, 4:14:17 PM10/9/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Strange version number. Can you install something called just libffi version 3.x?

Johannes Martin

Oct 9, 2017, 5:00:47 PM10/9/17
to sage-devel
There are no older versions offered for downgrade or newer versions for update.
It is the regular version installed by the operating system.

François Bissey

Oct 9, 2017, 5:20:11 PM10/9/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure where you get that libffi version from - upstream and upstream
on their github repo haven’t cut a release for a while.
However on the basis that your version could be based on a fork or snapshot
of upstream, I see that FFI_SYSV is defined in headers that are now completely
internal and specifically not distributed.
So I’d say this a ecl bug where they access something they shouldn’t.
I don’t know if it is fixed in a later upstream release at this stage. But upgrading
ecl is on hold for a variety of reasons (unsolved breakages).

François

Dima Pasechnik

Oct 9, 2017, 5:31:32 PM10/9/17
to sage-devel

Ralf Stephan

Oct 10, 2017, 1:48:51 AM10/10/17
to sage-devel
Offhand this could be https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21811
and Johannes could try to install with SAGE_GCC_INSTALL=yes

Regards,

Johannes Martin

Oct 10, 2017, 9:07:57 AM10/10/17
to sage-devel
Actually, setting SAGE_GCC_INSTALL=yes didn't help.
Also, installing the recommended rpms
libffi
libffi-devel-3.2.1.git259-11.1.x86_64 didn't help initially.

However, in order to install the rpms, I had to remove libffi-devel-gcc5, which broke some dependencies. I also was supposed to install som libffi7. Which I did.

Now I have installed:
libffi-devel-3.2.1.git259-11.1.x86_64
libffi4-32bit-5.3.1+r233831-10.1.x86_64
libffi4-5.3.1+r233831-10.1.x86_64

and ecl compiles, miraculously!
I'm not sure, whether this is of any help.
I'm also not sure, what the consequences of this broken dependency will be. gcc5 doesn't show up in my rpm-list any longer.

But at least for now I'm happy.
Thanks a lot for your help,
Johannes.

Ralf Stephan

Oct 10, 2017, 9:24:41 AM10/10/17
to sage-devel
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 3:07:57 PM UTC+2, Johannes Martin wrote:
Actually, setting SAGE_GCC_INSTALL=yes didn't help.

Apology, it should have read SAGE_INSTALL_GCC.