trac mails are back on

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 22, 2016, 6:11:33 PM6/22/16
to sage-devel, sagemath-admins, sage-support
Trac emails should work now (going via sendgrid.net). Please shout if something is not working.

Cheers,
Dima

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 22, 2016, 6:39:17 PM6/22/16
to sage-support, sage-...@googlegroups.com, sagemath-admins
On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 11:24:31 PM UTC+1, leif wrote:
Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> Trac emails should work now

Yes, thanks.

> (going via sendgrid.net).

Why that?  I'm getting ugly HTML mails with obfuscated links (and of
course phishing attempt alerts).

GCE does not allow running smtp on the usual port 25. So one has to send via some 3rd party
smtp server.

We will set up domain whitelabeling, hopefully soon, to make these links etc normal...

Dima

> Please shout if
> something is not working.

I won't click on them... B)

-leif

> Cheers,
> Dima

Michael Orlitzky

Jun 22, 2016, 6:52:53 PM6/22/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 06/22/2016 06:39 PM, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> > (going via sendgrid.net <http://sendgrid.net>).
>
> Why that? I'm getting ugly HTML mails with obfuscated links (and of
> course phishing attempt alerts).
>
> GCE does not allow running smtp on the usual port 25. So one has to send
> via some 3rd party
> smtp server.

Don't forget to include SendGrid in the SPF record for sagemath.org. The
"a:trac.sagemath.org" that is currently in there can probably be removed.

Erik Bray

Jun 23, 2016, 5:22:54 AM6/23/16
to sagemath-admins, sage-support, sage-devel

On Jun 23, 2016 00:11, "Dima Pasechnik" <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Trac emails should work now (going via sendgrid.net). Please shout if something is not working.

Thanks for taking care of it Dima!

Did you have to do anything special beyond what was in the documentation I linked you too? I'd like to add all the details about this to the documentation I've been compiling.

Also, all email related to the sagemathorg SendGrid account is going to my personal email. Perhaps there is a better address I can used, such as a shared account for sagemath-admin...?  (It ought not to be public though).

Erik

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 23, 2016, 6:23:43 AM6/23/16
On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Erik Bray <erik....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2016 00:11, "Dima Pasechnik" <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Trac emails should work now (going via sendgrid.net). Please shout if
>> something is not working.
>
> Thanks for taking care of it Dima!
>
> Did you have to do anything special beyond what was in the documentation I
> linked you too? I'd like to add all the details about this to the
> documentation I've been compiling.

they did not mention flushing the mail queue, (postfix flush), IIRC.
So I did this as the last thing.

By the way, when I log in I see a message saying that the system needs a reboot.
Probably one should so 'apt-get upgrade' and then reboot.

I must say I don't know how persistent these VMs are, etc.; e.g.
whether a "normal" reboot can lead to data loss, how backups are made,
etc; I wish there was a quick way to find this out. Perhaps we can
talk about it in Bremen - I presume you are there next week, right?

> Also, all email related to the sagemathorg SendGrid account is going to my
> personal email. Perhaps there is a better address I can used, such as a
> shared account for sagemath-admin...? (It ought not to be public though).

Can one change this email at all? If yes, we can set up a special
small private googlegroup for this.

Dima

> Erik
>
> --
>
> ---

William Stein

Jun 23, 2016, 11:13:03 AM6/23/16
to sagemat...@googlegroups.com, sage-support, sage-devel

On Thursday, June 23, 2016, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Erik Bray <erik....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2016 00:11, "Dima Pasechnik" <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Trac emails should work now (going via sendgrid.net). Please shout if
>> something is not working.
>
> Thanks for taking care of it Dima!
>
> Did you have to do anything special beyond what was in the documentation I
> linked you too? I'd like to add all the details about this to the
> documentation I've been compiling.

they did not mention flushing the mail queue, (postfix flush), IIRC.
So I did this as the last thing.

By the way, when I log in I see a message saying that the system needs a reboot.
Probably one should so 'apt-get upgrade' and then reboot.

I must say I don't know how persistent these VMs are, etc.; e.g.
whether a "normal" reboot can lead to data loss,

They are very persistent. In facet the disks on GCE are called "persistent disks".

how backups are made,

Currently there are automatic daily snapshots of the disk image (saved to google cloud storage).    I will also add a redundant backup system based on bup that gets offsited when things settle down.

etc; I wish there was a quick way to find this out. Perhaps we can
talk about it in Bremen - I presume you are there next week, right?

> Also, all email related to the sagemathorg SendGrid account is going to my
> personal email. Perhaps there is a better address I can used, such as a
> shared account for sagemath-admin...?  (It ought not to be public though).

Can one change this email at all? If yes, we can set up  a special
small private googlegroup for this.

Dima

> Erik
>
> --
>
> ---

---

Sent from my massive iPhone 6 plus.

leif

Jun 24, 2016, 3:43:41 AM6/24/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 11:24:31 PM UTC+1, leif wrote:
>
> Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> > Trac emails should work now
>
> Yes, thanks.
>
> > (going via sendgrid.net <http://sendgrid.net>).
>
> Why that? I'm getting ugly HTML mails with obfuscated links (and of
> course phishing attempt alerts).
>
> GCE does not allow running smtp on the usual port 25. So one has to send
> via some 3rd party
> smtp server.
>
> We will set up domain whitelabeling, hopefully soon, to make these links
> etc normal...

Notifications now look sane again.

Thanks for fixing this!

-leif

Paul Masson

Jun 30, 2016, 11:48:37 PM6/30/16
to sage-devel
Just got this error when saving changes to #18889:

closeWarning: The change has been saved, but an error occurred while sending notifications: expected string or buffer

Important?

david...@inria.fr

Jul 1, 2016, 5:23:31 AM7/1/16
to sage-devel
Hello,

I got the same error yesterday after commenting (and Cc'ing some people) on #20908.
I don't know how to replicate this error though...
I worked on several tickets yesterday and only got this error with #20908.

David

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 1, 2016, 5:53:27 AM7/1/16
to sage-devel
I've updated #18889, and did not get any errors (changed the type from task to enhancement too...)

Erik Bray

Jul 1, 2016, 6:41:39 AM7/1/16
to sage-devel

Weird. I'll look in the Trac log and see if there's any more info on that.

"expected string or buffer" is a Python error that occurs when trying to call str() on something that isn't string-like. Probably a bug in Trac (or possibly the account manager plugin). There will probably be a full traceback in the log.