lie package

Vincent Delecroix

Jul 23, 2016, 4:58:57 PM7/23/16
to sage-devel
Hello,

The lie package is experimental (as mentioned in the file
build/pkg/lie/type). However, an old style package appears on the
mirrors in the optional category

$ sage -optional|grep lie
lie..................................... 2.2.2.p5 (not_installed)

or look at

http://files.sagemath.org/spkg/optional/list

Could it be removed from there?

Best,
Vincent

leif

Jul 23, 2016, 7:37:50 PM7/23/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Vincent Delecroix wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The lie package is experimental (as mentioned in the file
> build/pkg/lie/type).

Someone^TM changed its type from optional to experimental just because
building it requires bison and he dislikes its build process... ;-)

(It's /not/ broken.)

> However, an old style package appears on the
> mirrors in the optional category
>
> $ sage -optional|grep lie
> lie..................................... 2.2.2.p5 (not_installed)
>
> or look at
>
> http://files.sagemath.org/spkg/optional/list
>
> Could it be removed from there?

Perhaps it could be moved to spkg/experimental/, but I don't really see
a reason for doing so.

It's of course weird to see the "same" (2.2.2) package listed in both
optional and experimental, but that's presumably also due to not putting
the patch level into the "new-style" package (I think -- otherwise it
would IMHO be a bug).

Unfortunately the great new-style package design doesn't allow to have
one version of a package be optional and another version of the same
experimental, or one version standard and another, newer, optional, say
(unless one names them different, as with e.g. python2 and python3, but
the latter are treated specially in the build system, like GMP vs. MPIR,
where on the other hand is no "name clash").

We by the way also still have TOPCOM and topcom.

-leif