R fails to compile

Rob Gross

Jan 16, 2017, 9:24:54 PM1/16/17
to sage-devel
Hi,

I tried to upgrade to 7.5.1 on several different Macs which I thought had identical software.

However, on one of them, R failed to compile, with the error:

  installing 'sysdata.rda'
dyld: Symbol not found: __libiconv_version
  Referenced from: /Users/gross/sage-7.0/local/var/tmp/sage/build/r-3.2.4-revised.p0/src/lib/libR.dylib
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /Users/gross/sage-7.0/local/var/tmp/sage/build/r-3.2.4-revised.p0/src/lib/libR.dylib
/bin/sh: line 1: 22794 Done                    echo "tools:::sysdata2LazyLoadDB(\"./R/sysdata.rda\",\"../../../library/tools/R\")"
     22795 Abort trap: 6           | R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL LC_ALL=C ../../../bin/R --vanilla --slave

Any ideas?

Thanks.--Rob

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jan 18, 2017, 8:15:57 AM1/18/17
to sage-devel
Do you have iconv installed systemwide ?

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jan 18, 2017, 8:22:47 AM1/18/17
to sage-devel
Forgot to add : ISTR that R has depended on an external iconv for a long while. I didn't see it would now be mandatory...

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Jean-Pierre Flori

Jan 18, 2017, 1:32:04 PM1/18/17
to sage-devel
Strange, Sage used to optionally build iconv on retarded systems.

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jan 18, 2017, 1:36:37 PM1/18/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
It also used to build pcre, an lzma library and SSL tools. No longer since 3.3, which is an itch I tried to scratch for 8 months... Hence also my insistence on the SSL tragicomedy.

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Jean-Pierre Flori

Jan 18, 2017, 1:39:23 PM1/18/17
to sage-devel

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 7:36:37 PM UTC+1, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
It also used to build pcre, an lzma library and SSL tools. No longer since 3.3, which is an itch I tried to scratch for 8 months... Hence also my insistence on the SSL tragicomedy.

Rob Gross

Jan 18, 2017, 1:39:49 PM1/18/17
to sage-devel
It did get built and installed.  I even reinstalled with sage -i -f to make sure.

libiconv-1.14 is installed on all of the three Macs that I tried to upgrade.  On one system, no problem with the upgrade.  On the other two, R failed to compile (though everything else is fine).  Understanding this is above my pay grade.--Rob

Samuel Lelievre

Jan 18, 2017, 7:15:33 PM1/18/17
to sage-devel

Tue 2017-01-17 02:24:54 UTC, Rob Gross:
Just to make sure, you are working in a directory called

     /Users/gross/sage-7.0

but you have checked out the sources for version 7.5.1 using git,
is that right?

Rob Gross

Jan 19, 2017, 1:47:48 PM1/19/17
to sage-devel
Hi,

A bit more clarification.  I upgraded to 7.5.1 using sage --upgrade.  There is a copy of libiconv in /usr/local/lib and one that the Mac OS installs in /usr/lib.  The command "sage -installed" reports that iconv is installed.

This is obviously a minor problem, given that no one else has reported it, and I'm happy to use the Mac where the upgraded ran flawlessly until the next upgrade, which might clear up the problem.--Rob