Sage and Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2017

瀏覽次數:199 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Arpit Merchant

未讀,
2017年1月6日 下午4:15:002017/1/6
收件者:sage-devel
Hello,

My name is Arpit Merchant and I participated in Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2016 with Sage. I had an amazing time and I would love to stay involved with Sage and GSoC. Will Sage be participating this year for GSoC 2017 too? If so, I think it might be nice to get started soon. The programme timeline has been released and it can be found here. The application period for mentoring organizations to submit applications to Google is from January 19 - February 9.

I attended Sage Days 75 and I met some wonderful members of the Sage community. During discussions with them, I mentioned that the barrier to entry for a student to participate in GSoC with Sage is very high and the resources are relatively scarce. I would like to start by helping with that and more broadly, stay involved in some or the other capacity throughout (help with logistics of the GSoC process from the perspective of someone who participated recently, perhaps even as (an extremely novice) co-mentor to some project).

I feel it would be helpful to students and mentors to have a streamlined process and to that end, I am proposing a restructuring of Sage's GSoC Pages. In particular, I propose two wiki pages, Sage’s Google Summer of Code (GSoC) Main Page (comprehensive) and GSoC 20XX Ideas Page. The idea is that the former remains persistent over the years and only the latter is created anew. The current main page is here and it is not very informative. And last year's Ideas Page contained links to the main documentation, trac, etc. As a student, just setting up Sage to start contributing was tedious and inaccessible. And I faced a lot of trouble with understanding the development workflow and navigating Sage code. My first aim is to simplify all of this. Please take a look at this Google doc which outlines my ideas on redesigning the GSoC wiki and please do comment with suggestions, edits, etc. I am volunteering to write most of the sections (barring some of the sections on Mentors since I do not have an adequate background for those. I am hoping someone else from the community can assist in completing those.)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Arpit Merchant.

Vincent Delecroix

未讀,
2017年1月7日 下午5:44:212017/1/7
收件者:sage-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Arpit,

Any cleaning of the wiki is more than welcome.

Some concrete random remarks:

1) The main GSoC page should remain

https://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC

And, if I had to rewrite it, I would keep it as short as possible.
However having guidelines for students and tutors would be good. I would
make wiki 2 pages for that purpose.

2) Concerning the explanation of the development process, it should stay
as most as possible in one place: the developer guide [1]. Having
duplicated information is a nightmare.

Best
Vincent

[1] http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/

Le 06/01/2017 à 22:15, Arpit Merchant a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> My name is Arpit Merchant and I participated in Google Summer of Code
> (GSoC) 2016 with Sage. I had an amazing time and I would love to stay
> involved with Sage and GSoC. Will Sage be participating this year for GSoC
> 2017 too? If so, I think it might be nice to get started soon. The
> programme timeline has been released and it can be found here
> <https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline>. The application
> period for mentoring organizations to submit applications to Google is from
> January 19 - February 9.
>
> I attended Sage Days 75 and I met some wonderful members of the Sage
> community. During discussions with them, I mentioned that the barrier to
> entry for a student to participate in GSoC with Sage is very high and the
> resources are relatively scarce. I would like to start by helping with that
> and more broadly, stay involved in some or the other capacity throughout
> (help with logistics of the GSoC process from the perspective of someone
> who participated recently, perhaps even as (an extremely novice) co-mentor
> to some project).
>
> I feel it would be helpful to students and mentors to have a streamlined
> process and to that end, I am proposing a restructuring of Sage's GSoC
> Pages. In particular, I propose two wiki pages, *Sage’s Google Summer of
> Code (GSoC) Main Page* (comprehensive) and *GSoC 20XX Ideas Page. *The idea
> is that the former remains persistent over the years and only the latter is
> created anew. The current main page is here <https://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC> and
> it is not very informative. And last year's Ideas Page
> <https://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2016> contained links to the main
> documentation, trac, etc. As a student, just setting up Sage to start
> contributing was tedious and inaccessible. And I faced a lot of trouble
> with understanding the development workflow and navigating Sage code. My
> first aim is to simplify all of this. Please take a look at this Google doc
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DVkzj3q6O5aiEa5Q3waPGu4gfUuhaa4PjiRpWn_1p9Y/edit?usp=sharing> which

Dima Pasechnik

未讀,
2017年1月8日 清晨5:09:462017/1/8
收件者:sage-devel

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 9:15:00 PM UTC, Arpit Merchant wrote:
[...]

Arpit, there are Sage tickets that you worked on, and that need your attention :-)
E.g. #20787

Arpit Merchant

未讀,
2017年1月15日 凌晨1:58:262017/1/15
收件者:sage-devel
Hello,

My sincere apologies for the delay in replying. I had to travel during the week and I was unable to respond earlier.

Thank you Vincent and Dima for your kind responses.

1) The main GSoC page should remain

https://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC

And, if I had to rewrite it, I would keep it as short as possible.
However having guidelines for students and tutors would be good. I would
make wiki 2 pages for that purpose.

I agree that the main GSoC page should remain the link you mention. That is what I proposed too. Although, I am not sure about having two wiki pages. Could you please elaborate on that idea a little? What should be on the main page and what on the other wiki page? And how can we link them.

2) Concerning the explanation of the development process, it should stay
as most as possible in one place: the developer guide [1]. Having
duplicated information is a nightmare.

Absolutely. The original developer documentation is awesome. All I mean to include in this section are links to the relevant sections of the developer guide.

@Dima, I will resume working on those tickets this week. :)

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Arpit.

Arpit Merchant

未讀,
2017年2月9日 中午12:57:252017/2/9
收件者:sage-devel
Hi,

Based on comments in this thread, following are the reformatted wiki pages related to GSoC:
1. Sage's Main GSoC Page
3. GSoC 2017 Ideas Page (I've included all the information from the Introduction section as well as the application template that used to be on past Ideas Pages to the Information Page in a hope to make this a bit cleaner.)

Please revert back with feedback and comments.

Best,
Arpit.

Dominique Laurain

未讀,