changelogs missing in http://www.sagemath.org/changelogs/index.html

edgardi...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2017, 7:21:03 PM9/25/17
to sage-devel
Hello,

The last changelog that shows up in http://www.sagemath.org/changelogs/index.html is for 7.3, from more than a year ago

Best,
Edgar

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 26, 2017, 5:15:24 AM9/26/17
to sage-devel
Yes it's a pity. A big project like Sage should have a changelog at each new release. My understanding is that

1/ the automated script generating the raw changelog from the git logs was lost somehow (during some migration of server?)
2/ it requires some volunteer to maintain such a file

Probably someone else can provide a better answer, especially regarding 1/.

Best wishes,

Eric.

William Stein

Sep 26, 2017, 7:28:44 AM9/26/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 2:15 AM Eric Gourgoulhon <egourg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes it's a pity. A big project like Sage should have a changelog at each new release. My understanding is that

1/ the automated script generating the raw changelog from the git logs was lost somehow (during some migration of server?)

No files were lost.  It's just that every time I make the files available to Jereon, I'm too busy and he tends to ignore me, and every time he asks for them from me, I tend to be too busy and ignore him...

2/ it requires some volunteer to maintain such a file

Probably someone else can provide a better answer, especially regarding 1/.

Best wishes,

Eric.

-- William Stein

Eric Gourgoulhon

Sep 27, 2017, 3:39:50 AM9/27/17
to sage-devel
Le mardi 26 septembre 2017 13:28:44 UTC+2, William a écrit :

No files were lost.  It's just that every time I make the files available to Jereon, I'm too busy and he tends to ignore me, and every time he asks for them from me, I tend to be too busy and ignore him...

Thanks for this clarification.
Could the script file(s) be added to sage git repository?

Best wishes,

Eric.

Jeroen Demeyer

Sep 27, 2017, 5:33:10 AM9/27/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to have a look today.

kcrisman

Sep 28, 2017, 8:59:50 AM9/28/17
to sage-devel

I'll try to have a look today.

That would be fantastic if this could be back up, granted the definitely nontrivial work involved getting it going again.

jplab

Oct 10, 2017, 9:09:24 AM10/10/17
to sage-devel
This would indeed be fantastic as I am writing an application for funding for a future SageDays
and it would be great to have an order of magnitude of how many active contributors there are
to the latest Sage releases!