threejs

Thierry Dumont

Oct 4, 2015, 4:33:41 AM10/4/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

What about the optional package threejs ?

As far as I remember, the idea was to replace jmol with it.
(But may be I am wrong).

Is this always an active project? Is it an orphan project ? Are there
difficult problems to solve ?

t.d.
tdumont.vcf

kcrisman

Oct 5, 2015, 8:22:39 AM10/5/15
to sage-devel
As far as I remember, the idea was to replace jmol with it.
(But may be I am wrong).

That was an idea - or at least to have this as another option.  I believe (?) William uses, or used for a while, a souped-up version for 3d graphics in SMC.

Is this always an active project? Is it an orphan project ? Are there
difficult problems to solve ?

I don't see why we can't keep it around.

could be useful for Jupyter?

Jonathan

Oct 6, 2015, 9:44:53 AM10/6/15
to sage-devel
I believe the javascript version of Jmol, JSmol, actually uses a modified version of threejs for some of its 3D rendering.  Thus it is also embedded in the Jmol/JSmol package.

Jonathan

Thierry Dumont

Oct 6, 2015, 10:15:00 AM10/6/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
MMMhhh, interesting!

Do you think it would be possible to replace jmol by jsmol in sage?
or keep both and choose which on to use?

t.

> --

tdumont.vcf

kcrisman

Oct 7, 2015, 2:42:15 AM10/7/15
to sage-devel

MMMhhh, interesting!

Do you think it would be possible to replace jmol by jsmol in sage?
or keep both and choose which on to use?

This is already possible!  In the notebook - thanks to tons of work by Jonathan and Volker.  I don't know how that would work from command line though, as it would have to open a browser or something?

Thierry Dumont

Oct 7, 2015, 3:28:32 AM10/7/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
> --

Great, yes, but how do I proceed to switch to jsmol?

yours
t.
tdumont.vcf

mmarco

Oct 7, 2015, 5:17:18 AM10/7/15
to sage-devel
I think it is already the default way to show 3d graphics in the notebook in the last versions. Isn't it?

El miércoles, 7 de octubre de 2015, 9:28:32 (UTC+2), tdumont escribió:
Le 07/10/2015 08:42, kcrisman a écrit :
>     >
>
>     MMMhhh, interesting!
>
>     Do you think it would be possible to replace jmol by jsmol in sage?
>     or keep both and choose which on to use?
>

> This is already possible!  In the notebook - thanks to tons of work by
> Jonathan and Volker.  I don't know how that would work from command line
> though, as it would have to open a browser or something?
>
> --

Great, yes, but how do I proceed to switch to jsmol?

yours
t.

> Groups "sage-devel" group.
> an email to sage-devel+...@googlegroups.com

kcrisman

Oct 7, 2015, 12:33:53 PM10/7/15
to sage-devel

I think it is already the default way to show 3d graphics in the notebook in the last versions. Isn't it?

Correct.  But I think he means how to use it from the *command line* - yes?  I wouldn't know about this; one would have to autolaunch a browser, I guess, and other annoyances, not to mention creating things... but it should be possible without any new packages or anything.