Call for vote: remove MoinMoin?

John H Palmieri

Mar 27, 2012, 1:10:50 PM3/27/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
This topic has been brought up here before as side notes in various threads, but I'd like to discuss it more officially:

Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

If "yes", I'm assuming we should make it an optional package instead. Or does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?

[ ] Convert to optional
[ ] Get rid of altogether

(It's easy to get rid of: see <http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12713>.)

--
John

Jason Grout

Mar 27, 2012, 1:19:59 PM3/27/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 3/27/12 12:10 PM, John H Palmieri wrote:
> This topic has been brought up here before as side notes in various
> threads, but I'd like to discuss it more officially:
>
> Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?
>
> [ ] Yes
> [ ] No

Yes

> If "yes", I'm assuming we should make it an optional package instead. Or
> does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?
>
> [ ] Convert to optional
> [ ] Get rid of altogether

Convert to optional only if someone volunteers to maintain it. If not,
get rid of it altogether.

Thanks,

Jason

leif

Mar 27, 2012, 1:34:12 PM3/27/12
to sage-devel
On 27 Mrz., 19:19, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 3/27/12 12:10 PM, John H Palmieri wrote:
>
> > This topic has been brought up here before as side notes in various
> > threads, but I'd like to discuss it more officially:
>
> > Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?
>
> > [ ] Yes
> > [ ] No
>
> Yes

+1

> > If "yes", I'm assuming we should make it an optional package instead. Or
> > does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?
>
> > [ ] Convert to optional
> > [ ] Get rid of altogether
>
> Convert to optional only if someone volunteers to maintain it.  If not,
> get rid of it altogether.

+1 (or just move its state to "experimental", such that an old
version will still be available online)

-leif

P.S.: IIRC we already had some (probably to hidden?) poll on another
thread, which led to the ticket [1] we already have.

[1] http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12713

John H Palmieri

Mar 27, 2012, 2:35:43 PM3/27/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

I don't know if there was actually a poll, or just several people agreeing that it was a good idea. I started this thread to clarify the discussion and make sure we heard whether there were objections to removing MoinMoin.

--
John

Julien Puydt

Mar 27, 2012, 2:58:44 PM3/27/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Le mardi 27 mars, John H Palmieri a écrit:

> Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?

Yes.

> Or does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?

Get rid of it altogether.

Snark on #sagemath

Michael Orlitzky

Mar 27, 2012, 3:01:49 PM3/27/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 03/27/12 13:10, John H Palmieri wrote:
> This topic has been brought up here before as side notes in various
> threads, but I'd like to discuss it more officially:
>
> Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?

[X] Yes
[X] Get rid of altogether

Georg S. Weber

Mar 27, 2012, 3:12:50 PM3/27/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, 27 March 2012 19:10:50 UTC+2, John H Palmieri wrote:
This topic has been brought up here before as side notes in various threads, but I'd like to discuss it more officially:

Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?

[x ] Yes

[ ] No

If "yes", I'm assuming we should make it an optional package instead. Or does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?

[ ] Convert to optional
[ x] Get rid of altogether

(It's easy to get rid of: see <http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12713>.)

--
John

Cheers,
Georg

William Stein

Mar 27, 2012, 3:30:42 PM3/27/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This topic has been brought up here before as side notes in various threads,
> but I'd like to discuss it more officially:
>
> Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?

[X] Yes

> [ ] No
>
> If "yes", I'm assuming we should make it an optional package instead. Or
> does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?
>
> [ ] Convert to optional
> [ ] Get rid of altogether

[x] Experimental

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Robert Bradshaw

Mar 27, 2012, 4:35:27 PM3/27/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM, John H Palmieri
<jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This topic has been brought up here before as side notes in various threads,
> but I'd like to discuss it more officially:
>
> Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?
>
> [X] Yes

> [ ] No
>
> If "yes", I'm assuming we should make it an optional package instead. Or
> does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?
>
> [ ] Convert to optional
> [ ] Get rid of altogether

[x] Experimental

David Roe

Mar 27, 2012, 4:38:01 PM3/27/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This topic has been brought up here before as side notes in various threads,
> but I'd like to discuss it more officially:
>
> Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?

 [X] Yes
 [ ] No

> If "yes", I'm assuming we should make it an optional package instead. Or
> does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?
>
> [ ] Convert to optional
> [ ] Get rid of altogether

[x] Experimental

David

John Foster

Mar 29, 2012, 11:21:10 AM3/29/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
This topic has been brought up here before as side notes in various threads, but I'd like to discuss it more officially:

Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?

[ X] Yes

[ ] No

If "yes", I'm assuming we should make it an optional package instead. Or does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?

[ X] Convert to optional

[ ] Get rid of altogether

(It's easy to get rid of: see <http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12713>.)

--
John

Dan Drake

Mar 29, 2012, 8:44:46 PM3/29/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 at 10:10AM -0700, John H Palmieri wrote:
> Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?
>
> [ ] Yes
> [ ] No

Yes

> If "yes", I'm assuming we should make it an optional package instead. Or
> does anyone support getting rid of it altogether?
>
> [ ] Convert to optional
> [ ] Get rid of altogether
>
> (It's easy to get rid of: see
> <http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12713>.)

Convert to optional or experimental. I don't have much of an opinion.

Dan

--
--- Dan Drake
----- http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake

signature.asc

mhampton

Mar 30, 2012, 10:09:24 AM3/30/12
to sage-devel
Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?
I think that would be OK, most users probably have no idea its in
there now. I used to use it through Sage for some collaborative work,
but being packaged in Sage doesn't really have any extra added value.
With the improvements in notebook editing (tinymce editor), I have
moved my collaborations to just using the notebook.

No one sounds fired up about it so I think it should be moved to
experimental packages.

-Marshall

William Stein

Mar 30, 2012, 10:11:53 AM3/30/12
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM, mhampton <hamp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?
> I think that would be OK, most users probably have no idea its in
> there now.  I used to use it through Sage for some collaborative work,
> but being packaged in Sage doesn't really have any extra added value.

It would have more value if it were well tested in Sage, but
I don't think it actually is.

leif

Mar 30, 2012, 1:47:07 PM3/30/12
to sage-devel
On 30 Mrz., 16:11, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM, mhampton <hampto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Should we remove MoinMoin as a standard package?
> > I think that would be OK, most users probably have no idea its in
> > there now.  I used to use it through Sage for some collaborative work,
> > but being packaged in Sage doesn't really have any extra added value.
>
> It would have more value if it were well tested in Sage, but
> I don't think it actually is.

I'm not aware of any test involving MoinMoin. Wonder whether there
are any Sage scripts related to it.

It also takes a lot of disk space in every "standard" Sage
installation (the actual amount depends on your filesystem's block
size), mostly the JSMath fonts, which are probably redundant anyway.

So I'll be happy when it gets optional or experimental.

-leif