A short description of what "Sage days" are on the wiki page

Nathann Cohen

May 25, 2015, 3:05:16 PM5/25/15
to Sage devel
Hello everybody,

I just noticed that the wiki page on "Sage Days" [2] can be reached
quite easily from Sage's website [1]. Thus, we can expect many persons
(ignorant of our customs and traditions) to read it.

This page is actually quite clean and up-to-date, but it was lacking a
short paragraph at the top of the page explaining to newcomers what
exactly Sage days are.

I added a short one, which everybody can freely [edit/change totally].
It is my first time editing this page, and I thought it would be a
good idea to write here to tell everybody "how public" that page is.

Cheers,

Nathann

[1] "Home" menu, then "SageMath days" at http://www.sagemath.org/
[2] http://wiki.sagemath.org/Workshops

William Stein

May 26, 2015, 12:39:29 AM5/26/15
to sage-devel
On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Nathann Cohen <nathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I just noticed that the wiki page on "Sage Days" [2] can be reached
> quite easily from Sage's website [1]. Thus, we can expect many persons
> (ignorant of our customs and traditions) to read it.
>
> This page is actually quite clean and up-to-date, but it was lacking a
> short paragraph at the top of the page explaining to newcomers what
> exactly Sage days are.
>
> I added a short one, which everybody can freely [edit/change totally].
> It is my first time editing this page, and I thought it would be a
> good idea to write here to tell everybody "how public" that page is.

I changed it to the following: "Sage Days are gatherings of people
interested in SageMath development. Contributors, enthusiastic users,
and newcomers often attend. Sage Days are organized by a wide range of
people around the globe."

> Cheers,
>
> Nathann
>
> [1] "Home" menu, then "SageMath days" at http://www.sagemath.org/
> [2] http://wiki.sagemath.org/Workshops
>
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

Vincent Delecroix

May 26, 2015, 3:17:33 AM5/26/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

On 26/05/15 06:38, William Stein wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Nathann Cohen <nathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I just noticed that the wiki page on "Sage Days" [2] can be reached
>> quite easily from Sage's website [1]. Thus, we can expect many persons
>> (ignorant of our customs and traditions) to read it.
>>
>> This page is actually quite clean and up-to-date, but it was lacking a
>> short paragraph at the top of the page explaining to newcomers what
>> exactly Sage days are.
>>
>> I added a short one, which everybody can freely [edit/change totally].
>> It is my first time editing this page, and I thought it would be a
>> good idea to write here to tell everybody "how public" that page is.
>
> I changed it to the following: "Sage Days are gatherings of people
> interested in SageMath development. Contributors, enthusiastic users,
> and newcomers often attend. Sage Days are organized by a wide range of
> people around the globe."

This is not how I do practice Sage days. There are days which gather
developers, but I did quite a few which were just about advertising Sage
to newcomers.

Vincent

William Stein

May 26, 2015, 3:26:20 AM5/26/15
to sage-devel
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:17 AM, Vincent Delecroix
Are you proposing changing it to the following: "Sage Days are
gatherings of people
interested in SageMath. Contributors, enthusiastic users,
and newcomers often attend. Sage Days are organized by a wide range of
people around the globe." ?

William

Vincent Delecroix

May 26, 2015, 3:33:10 AM5/26/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
What about

Sage Days are gatherings of people interested in SageMath, from
newcomers to contributors. Sage Days are organized by a wide range of
people around the globe.

Vincent

William Stein

May 26, 2015, 11:13:33 AM5/26/15
to sage-devel
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:33 AM, Vincent Delecroix
Sounds good to me -- anybody should feel free to edit the wiki...