The sage.rings.finite_rings.constructor module

Nathann Cohen

Jan 22, 2016, 5:13:29 AM1/22/16
to Sage devel
Hello everybody,

The title of the following module is 'Finite Fields'. Its contains
code related to finite fields.

sage/rings/finite_rings/constructor.py

Is it just me, or is there a noticeable discrepancy between the
filename and the content/title?

Thanks,

Nathann

Jeroen Demeyer

Jan 22, 2016, 5:23:18 AM1/22/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I can do better:

src/sage/rings/real_lazy.pyx

contains code for real and *complex* lazy numbers.

Nathann Cohen

Jan 22, 2016, 5:41:38 AM1/22/16
to Sage devel
> I can do better:
>
> src/sage/rings/real_lazy.pyx
>
> contains code for real and *complex* lazy numbers.

Nice. I hope nobody will beat that.

Do you see have any objection to setting things right?

Nathann

Jeroen Demeyer

Jan 22, 2016, 5:43:26 AM1/22/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-01-22 11:41, Nathann Cohen wrote:
> Do you see have any objection to setting things right?

Of course not, but we need to deprecate the old modules.

Nathann Cohen

Jan 22, 2016, 5:43:58 AM1/22/16
to Sage devel
> Of course not, but we need to deprecate the old modules.

Yes yes of course.

Nathann

Nathann Cohen

Jan 22, 2016, 7:38:35 AM1/22/16
to Sage devel
The 'constructor' file is being renamed to 'finite_field_constructor'
in the following ticket:

http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/19941

Nathann

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 22, 2016, 2:37:27 PM1/22/16
to sage-devel
probably real_lazy is the author's signature in this case... :-)

David Roe

Jan 22, 2016, 8:37:10 PM1/22/16
to sage-devel
I raised some objections on the ticket.
David

David Loeffler

Jan 23, 2016, 9:47:26 AM1/23/16
to sage-devel, roed...@gmail.com
I have also raised some objections on the ticket, which relate less to the content of the ticket than to the tone of the discussion (both on the ticket and on this thread). It is one thing to propose a change to a file name; it is another thing to mock a fellow Sage contributor or to accuse them of laziness.

This is a public forum, folks, so please try to remain civil and polite.

David

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 23, 2016, 12:03:13 PM1/23/16
to sage-devel, roed...@gmail.com

On Saturday, 23 January 2016 14:47:26 UTC, David Loeffler wrote:
I have also raised some objections on the ticket, which relate less to the content of the ticket than to the tone of the discussion (both on the ticket and on this thread). It is one thing to propose a change to a file name; it is another thing to mock a fellow Sage contributor or to accuse them of laziness.

This is a public forum, folks, so please try to remain civil and polite.

Perhaps we should  install here a British English plugin, which would have automatically converted my blunt joke into something like

"one might commend truly exquisite sense of humour of a developer putting complex numbers code into a file tellingly named "real_lazy.pyx"...

 Dima

David

David Loeffler

Jan 23, 2016, 12:22:23 PM1/23/16
to SAGE devel
(The joke doesn't actually work in British English, because we'd always say "X is really lazy" rather than "X is real lazy".)

David

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 23, 2016, 1:03:11 PM1/23/16
to sage-devel
On Saturday, 23 January 2016 17:22:23 UTC, David Loeffler wrote:
(The joke doesn't actually work in British English, because we'd always say "X is really lazy" rather than "X is real lazy".)

no, no, the  joke is about real vs complex...