Getting a code signing certificate for Sage

Erik Bray

May 22, 2018, 10:19:41 AM5/22/18
to sage-devel
I would like to be able to sign future versions of the Sage for
Windows installer. Not only does it just *look* more professional
(users don't get a "Installing software from an unknown provider"
message when they install Sage), it also protects are users from bogus
or tampered with copies of the installer.

Unfortunately, certs with a trusted authority chain that can be used
for code signing are not free; there is not yet any equivalent of
LetsEncrypt for software binaries. So we will have to pay a
certificate provider for one. Some of the cheapest I could find are
Comodo certs from https://codesigncert.com/#codepricing from $75/yr
(or slightly less for multi-year certs).

Can one of OpenDreamKit, Cocalc, Sagemath.org, etc. put up some
funding for purchasing a signing certificate for Sage? Once that's
done I'll need a copy of the cert and private key so that I can start
signing releases of Sage for Windows.

Thanks!

William Stein

May 22, 2018, 11:27:13 AM5/22/18
to sage-devel@googlegroups. com sage-devel@googlegroups. com
It would of course be natural for Sage Foundation to do this. Write to me off list.

Nicolas M. Thiery

May 23, 2018, 6:02:19 AM5/23/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

And in case there would be any administrative issue on the Sage
Foundation Side, ODK could certainly pay now for the next couple
years.

Cheers,
Nicolas

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 08:26:58AM -0700, William Stein wrote:
> It would of course be natural for Sage Foundation to do this. Write to
> me off list.
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2018, 7:19 AM Erik Bray <[1]erik....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I would like to be able to sign future versions of the Sage for
> Windows installer. Not only does it just *look* more professional
> (users don't get a "Installing software from an unknown provider"
> message when they install Sage), it also protects are users from
> bogus
> or tampered with copies of the installer.
> Unfortunately, certs with a trusted authority chain that can be used
> for code signing are not free; there is not yet any equivalent of
> LetsEncrypt for software binaries. So we will have to pay a
> certificate provider for one. Some of the cheapest I could find are
> Comodo certs from [2]https://codesigncert.com/#codepricing from
> $75/yr
> (or slightly less for multi-year certs).
> Can one of OpenDreamKit, Cocalc, Sagemath.org, etc. put up some
> funding for purchasing a signing certificate for Sage? Once that's
> done I'll need a copy of the cert and private key so that I can
> start
> signing releases of Sage for Windows.
> Thanks!
> --
>
> --
>
> Références
>
> 1. mailto:erik....@gmail.com
> 2. https://codesigncert.com/#codepricing
> 3. mailto:sage-devel+...@googlegroups.com
> 4. mailto:sage-...@googlegroups.com
> 5. https://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel
> 6. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> 7. mailto:sage-devel+...@googlegroups.com
> 8. mailto:sage-...@googlegroups.com
> 9. https://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel
> 10. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
Nicolas
--
Nicolas M. Thiéry "Isil" <nth...@users.sf.net>
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/

William Stein

May 23, 2018, 2:15:04 PM5/23/18
to sage-devel
Hi,
Let's switch to having ODK do this, since the Sage Foundation money
(small, and all from donations, but greatly appreciated!) never
expires, but ODK's does.

William

William (http://wstein.org)