Error building Sage (gcc-4.9.2.p1)

Tynan Kelly

May 4, 2015, 9:36:46 PM5/4/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not a developer (at least not an expert!) and I'm having trouble building Sage from source. I get an error saying the following package(s) may have failed to build:

package: gcc-4.9.2.p1

I'm running OS X 10.10.3 and Xcode 6.3.1. I have tried building twice today, first using Sage 6.6, and then 6.5, both resulting in the exact same error. The log is too large to post, so I've pasted the last little bit with the error directly here.

Comparing stages 2 and 3

warning: gcc/cc1-checksum.o differs

warning: gcc/cc1plus-checksum.o differs

Bootstrap comparison failure!

gcc/asan.o differs

gcc/attribs.o differs

gcc/bitmap.o differs

gcc/c/c-decl.o differs

gcc/cfg.o differs

gcc/coverage.o differs

gcc/cp/class.o differs

gcc/cp/semantics.o differs

gcc/cp/tree.o differs

gcc/dse.o differs

gcc/dwarf2out.o differs

gcc/except.o differs

gcc/fortran/trans-common.o differs

gcc/ggc-common.o differs

gcc/ipa-profile.o differs

gcc/ira-color.o differs

gcc/ira-costs.o differs

gcc/loop-unroll.o differs

gcc/lto-streamer-in.o differs

gcc/lto-streamer-out.o differs

gcc/passes.o differs

gcc/plugin.o differs

gcc/postreload-gcse.o differs

gcc/statistics.o differs

gcc/trans-mem.o differs

gcc/tree-cfg.o differs

gcc/tree-eh.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-ccp.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-coalesce.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-dom.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-live.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-loop-ivopts.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-phiopt.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-pre.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-reassoc.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-threadupdate.o differs

gcc/tree-ssa-uncprop.o differs

gcc/tree-vectorizer.o differs

gcc/valtrack.o differs

gcc/vtable-verify.o differs

make[5]: *** [compare] Error 1

make[4]: *** [stage3-bubble] Error 2

make[3]: *** [all] Error 2

real 111m59.976s

user 101m53.609s

sys 8m30.853s

Error installing package gcc-4.9.2.p1

Please email sage-devel (http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel)

explaining the problem and including the relevant part of the log file

  /Applications/sage-6.5/logs/pkgs/gcc-4.9.2.p1.log

Describe your computer, operating system, etc.

If you want to try to fix the problem yourself, *don't* just cd to

/Applications/sage-6.5/local/var/tmp/sage/build/gcc-4.9.2.p1 and type 'make' or whatever is appropriate.

Instead, the following commands setup all environment variables

correctly and load a subshell for you to debug the error:

  (cd '/Applications/sage-6.5/local/var/tmp/sage/build/gcc-4.9.2.p1' && '/Applications/sage-6.5/sage' --sh)

When you are done debugging, you can type "exit" to leave the subshell.

make[2]: *** [/Applications/sage-6.5/local/var/lib/sage/installed/gcc-4.9.2.p1] Error 1

make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

real 118m27.999s

user 105m59.364s

sys 10m44.726s

Error building Sage.

The following package(s) may have failed to build:

package: gcc-4.9.2.p1

log file: /Applications/sage-6.5/logs/pkgs/gcc-4.9.2.p1.log

build directory: /Applications/sage-6.5/local/var/tmp/sage/build/gcc-4.9.2.p1

The build directory may contain configuration files and other potentially

helpful information. WARNING: if you now run 'make' again, the build

directory will, by default, be deleted. Set the environment variable

SAGE_KEEP_BUILT_SPKGS to 'yes' to prevent this.

make: *** [build] Error 1

Please help!

Thank you!

Ty

François Bissey

May 4, 2015, 9:40:00 PM5/4/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I am afraid you'll need to get 6.7.beta3 to get the needed fix
to build gcc with xcode 6.3.1.

Francois

leif

May 4, 2015, 10:33:16 PM5/4/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
François Bissey wrote:
> I am afraid you'll need to get 6.7.beta3 to get the needed fix
> to build gcc with xcode 6.3.1.

That fix [1] is not even in Sage 6.7.beta3.

The following /should/^TM work though:

export GCC_CONFIGURE="--with-build-config=bootstrap-debug"

make

No guarantees; you may run into further problems...

-leif

[1] http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18156

François Bissey

May 4, 2015, 10:38:11 PM5/4/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I thought it was in. Anyway it worked for me but as Leif said
there may be further problems. Probably not in gcc though.

Francois