sage binaries useless for development

William Stein

May 25, 2015, 3:17:49 PM5/25/15
to sage-devel
Hi,

Just curious -- is this intentional?

1. Build sage.
2. Type "./sage -bdist ..."
3. Extract the resulting tarball elsewhere
4. Type "make" inside the extracted directory. BOOM! Total disaster.
It starts by trying to download tarballs from the internet, etc...

-- William

--
William (http://wstein.org)

Dima Pasechnik

May 25, 2015, 3:44:30 PM5/25/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 25 May 2015 20:17:49 UTC+1, William wrote:
Hi,

Just curious -- is this intentional?

1. Build sage.
2. Type "./sage -bdist ..."
3. Extract the resulting tarball elsewhere
4. Type "make" inside the extracted directory.  BOOM!  Total disaster.

Has it ever worked?
IMHO nothing beyond 'sage -b' worked in this case...

It starts by trying to download tarballs from the internet, etc...

this is certainly worse than it was.

William Stein

May 26, 2015, 12:25:35 AM5/26/15
to sage-devel
On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 25 May 2015 20:17:49 UTC+1, William wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just curious -- is this intentional?
>>
>> 1. Build sage.
>> 2. Type "./sage -bdist ..."
>> 3. Extract the resulting tarball elsewhere
>> 4. Type "make" inside the extracted directory. BOOM! Total disaster.
>

> Has it ever worked?

Yes, because the first version of "sage -bdist" was a 1-liner that
just tar'd up the exact installation. Then we kept removing things to
save disk space...

My unusual, but I think a very important, basic design principle with
sage binaries was that it was *super important* that one could do
development with them. The idea is that a person would play with Sage
(as a user), then with minimal effort switch to doing some development
and contributing. This has clearly been completely lost in the
current binaries. It's also been lost in SageMathCloud -- but I hope
to get it back there (e.g., there could be a link the output of a
docstring or source code of a function in a worksheet, which would
setup a dev environment, and get you going editing that very
function...)

> IMHO nothing beyond 'sage -b' worked in this case...
>

>> It starts by trying to download tarballs from the internet, etc...
>>

> this is certainly worse than it was.
>

>> -- William
>>
>> --
>> William (http://wstein.org)
>
> --

William (http://wstein.org)

William Stein

May 26, 2015, 10:55:47 AM5/26/15
to sage-devel
Hi,

I've decided to not worry about this sad loss of functionality.
Instead, for SageMathCloud at least, I'm just going to write a new
"bdist" that will start over by doing (1) tar'ing up a clean Sage
build. I may then add (2) reducing the size a little, if there is
anything obvious, which doesn't break developing Sage. Nobody says
you have to make a tarball of sage using bdist.

William
--
William (http://wstein.org)

Jan Groenewald

May 27, 2015, 5:42:59 AM5/27/15
to sage-devel
Hi

I have to make some decisions for the PPA as well. Here the install is 1) root-owned 2) I just removed .git and .gitignore from the PPA for dpkg-specific reasons (a quilt package fails to build and a native package fails if .git is included). Doing git stuff as root in a /usr/ filesystem over files owend by a debian package is not only not really going to work, it might break your package management hosing your entire system. Some students who use sage but don't know really what file permissions, system-owned locations, paths, or anything linux-shell, might find sudo examples on the internet and blindly try them.

So if the PPA is completely aimed at 1) ease of install and 2) auto-updates via the usual Ubuntu mechanisms and interface then I can remove even more and save a lot of space and bandwidth.

Apart from the "local" folder to I actually need anything else here to run sage?

0 jan@snapperkob:~/src/sagemath-upstream-binary/sagemath-upstream-binary/debian$du -hs ../amd64/*
72K     ../amd64/COPYING.txt
8.0K    ../amd64/Makefile
16K     ../amd64/README.txt
4.0K    ../amd64/VERSION.txt
4.0K    ../amd64/bootstrap
5.4M    ../amd64/build
116K    ../amd64/config
244K    ../amd64/configure
28K     ../amd64/configure.ac
2.9G    ../amd64/local
40K     ../amd64/m4
8.0K    ../amd64/sage
2.3G    ../amd64/src

E.g. can I exclude the huge src folder?

Regards,
Jan
  .~.
  /V\     Jan Groenewald
 /( )\    www.aims.ac.za
 ^^-^^

Volker Braun

May 27, 2015, 6:58:48 AM5/27/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 11:42:59 AM UTC+2, Jan Groenewald wrote:
Apart from the "local" folder to I actually need anything else here to run sage?

The documentation output is unfortunately still under /src/doc/output. Patches would be welcome!

Francois Bissey

May 27, 2015, 7:10:20 AM5/27/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Well, where would be a good spot to install it? In sage-on-gentoo
I finally settled in at
/usr/share/doc/sage/$lang
/usr/share/doc/sage/html/$lang
/usr/share/doc/sage/pdf/$lang
Which would correspond to SAGE_LOCAL/share/doc/sage
I also have a mechanism to only build given $lang - with
“en” being mandatory for all purpose.

François

Volker Braun

May 27, 2015, 7:13:39 AM5/27/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me!

Jan Groenewald

May 27, 2015, 7:47:59 AM5/27/15
to sage-devel
Apart from local and src/doc/output I don't need anything else?

Regards,
Jan

Francois Bissey

May 27, 2015, 8:05:37 AM5/27/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Apart from the language selection, it’s all manual copy at this stage
but if there is will to incorporate stuff “upstream” I am quite willing to
make it happen in a better way.

I just fell overbooked and run over from left (work) and right (kids being
sick in rotation) at the moment so it won’t happen just this minute.

François

Jan Groenewald

May 27, 2015, 12:17:53 PM5/27/15
to sage-devel
Hi

Apparently I do need something else (than local and doc/src/output):

0 root@muizenberg:~#dpkg -i sagemath-upstream-binary_6.7ppa2_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 586682 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack sagemath-upstream-binary_6.7ppa2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking sagemath-upstream-binary (6.7ppa2) over (6.7) ...
Setting up sagemath-upstream-binary (6.7ppa2) ...
Running Sage once as root to set paths
Error: SAGE_ROOT is set to a bad value:
SAGE_ROOT=/usr/lib/sagemath
You must correct it or erase it and run this script from the SAGE_ROOT
or SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/ directory.
Error setting environment variables by sourcing '/usr/lib/sagemath/local/bin/sage-env';
possibly contact sage-devel (see http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel).
dpkg: error processing package sagemath-upstream-binary (--install):
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.1+14.04.20140409-0ubuntu1) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
 sagemath-upstream-binary
1 root@muizenberg:~#

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jan

Jan Groenewald

May 27, 2015, 12:55:09 PM5/27/15
to sage-devel
Hi

On 27 May 2015 at 18:17, Jan Groenewald <j...@aims.ac.za> wrote:
Hi

Apparently I do need something else (than local and doc/src/output):

I added bootstrap but this still occurs.

Regards,
Jan

Jan Groenewald

May 27, 2015, 2:13:26 PM5/27/15
to sage-devel
Hi

Looks like I need build/install and build/deps (checking whether I need only one of them).

Regards,
Jan

Jan Groenewald

May 27, 2015, 4:33:51 PM5/27/15
to sage-devel
Hi

I only need install file not deps.

Also, the new PPA will include only EN and FR docs. Please let me know if PPA users are inconvenienced by this. Maybe we have the time to split the packages but adding back a language is quick.

Regards,
Jan

Jan Groenewald

May 28, 2015, 5:09:58 AM5/28/15
to sage-devel
Hi

The PPA is now updated, and 32bit has returned (only to Ubuntu 14.04+14.10+15.04 for now; perhaps 12.04 later).
The debs have also almost halved in size.

Regards,
Jan