Cloning Sage git hangs

Victor Porton

May 22, 2018, 6:13:25 PM5/22/18
to sage-devel
Cloning Sage hangs on 99%:

build,0$  git clone git://git.sagemath.org/sage.git
Cloning into 'sage'...
remote: Counting objects: 684626, done.
Receiving objects:  99% (677780/684626), 202.90 MiB | 2.24 MiB/s

My computer has 8GB and swap. The Linux command `free` shows that I have a lot of free memory.

Erik Bray

May 23, 2018, 6:29:40 AM5/23/18
to sage-devel
Hi Victor,

It works fine for me. I don't think your memory has anything to do
with it but maybe you have a buggy version of git, or perhaps
something went wrong during the download.

The full Sage repository is quite large and contains a lot of branches
that you probably don't care about. Things will go smoother if you
just clone the main develop branch, and then maybe fetch individual
branches if you need to:

git clone --singe-branch --branch develop

Eric Gourgoulhon

May 23, 2018, 8:02:37 AM5/23/18
to sage-devel
Hi Victor,

Usually I am using the github mirror instead of git.sagemath.org to perform a git clone, for it has a better bandwidth:

I don't know if this can solve your problem.

Best wishes,

Eric.