First Joint GAP-​Sage Days (St Andrews, January 2016)

Alexander Konovalov

Oct 12, 2015, 8:50:14 AM10/12/15
to GAP Forum, sage-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

we are happy to announce the First Joint GAP-​Sage Days which
will take place in St Andrews on January 18th-22nd, 2016. They
will be preceded by a GAP Coding Sprint on January 13th-16th.

For the 1st Joint GAP-Sage Days, the focus of the workshop will
be on improving GAP-SageMath integration and interaction between
our systems and between their developers. The focus of the GAP
Coding Sprint will be on converging GAP and HPC-GAP development
branches.

For details please visit the webpage of the meeting:

http://gapdays.de/gap-sage-days2016/

Best regards,
The organisers:

- Max Horn
- Alexander Konovalov (local organizer)
- Dmitrii Pasechnik
- Markus Pfeiffer (local organizer)

Julien Puydt

Oct 12, 2015, 9:46:29 AM10/12/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, GAP Forum
Le lundi 12 oct. 2015 à 13:50:04 (+0100), Alexander Konovalov a écrit :
> we are happy to announce the First Joint GAP-​Sage Days which
> will take place in St Andrews on January 18th-22nd, 2016. They
> will be preceded by a GAP Coding Sprint on January 13th-16th.
>
> For the 1st Joint GAP-Sage Days, the focus of the workshop will
> be on improving GAP-SageMath integration and interaction between
> our systems and between their developers. The focus of the GAP
> Coding Sprint will be on converging GAP and HPC-GAP development
> branches.

Does that mean that the libgap in sagemath will get part of upstream GAP?

Snark on #sagemath

Volker Braun

Oct 12, 2015, 4:02:38 PM10/12/15
to sage-devel
On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 3:46:29 PM UTC+2, Snark wrote:
Does that mean that the libgap in sagemath will get part of upstream GAP?

A better interop between Sage and GAP is definitely desirable. I don't think anybody has a clear plan at this point but I'll be at the meeting ;-)

Julien Puydt

Oct 12, 2015, 4:45:08 PM10/12/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
We are uncomfortable with packaging sage-the-distribution's libgap in Debian,
because as the name doesn't say it's sage-specific, we might be in some trouble
if GAP were to release a real-GAP libgap (even in some years... Debian is about
long-term).

So if that lib could get upstream's blessing (or just get renamed libsagegap),
that would make things easier.

Cheers,

Snark on #sagemath

Samuel Lelievre

Oct 16, 2015, 5:20:05 AM10/16/15
to sage-devel

2015-10-12 22:45:08 UTC+2, Snark:

See a discussion of that point on the gap development list at

https://mail.gap-system.org/pipermail/gap/2015-October/000176.html

Julien Puydt

Oct 16, 2015, 9:22:59 AM10/16/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com