Sage developer co-authors article on women's representation in subfields

kcrisman

May 25, 2018, 11:02:42 AM5/25/18
to sage-devel
Unfortunately a paywall, but very interesting data and analysis relevant to mathematical software communities too - plus, Sage developer and co-author Ursula Whitcher of Math Reviews gives a shout-out to SageMath in the author bio :)
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00283-017-9761-7

William Stein

May 25, 2018, 11:27:29 AM5/25/18
to sage-devel
I can't / wont read it because of the paywall. Can you copy/paste the
paragraph that mentions Sage? (or screenshot it). Fair use of small
excerpts...

> --

William (http://wstein.org)

Ursula Whitcher

May 25, 2018, 11:27:36 AM5/25/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

There's a preprint version on the arXiv, naturally:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1509.07824

(And I did a bunch of the data analysis in python, using skills I
learned from Sage development!)

UAW

Ursula Whitcher

May 26, 2018, 10:33:31 AM5/26/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 5/25/2018 11:26 AM, William Stein wrote:
> I can't / wont read it because of the paywall. Can you copy/paste the
> paragraph that mentions Sage? (or screenshot it). Fair use of small
> excerpts...

Math Intelligencer changed the biographies to third-person; my draft was:

***

I earned a mathematics Ph.D. from the University of Washington, where I
wrote my dissertation on algebraic geometry problems inspired by
questions in string theory. I spent two years as a Teaching and Research
Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvey Mudd College, and five years as an
assistant and then associate professor at the University of
Wisconsin-Eau Claire, where I met Abra. I'm now an Associate Editor at
Mathematical Reviews, a service of the American Mathematical Society.
I'm interested in experimental and computational approaches to both pure
and applied mathematical problems, and am active in the SageMath
open-source community.

When I'm not doing math, I enjoy rock climbing, knitting, writing
poetry, and using my academic library card for unmathematical purposes.
Right now I'm reading up on the Aztecs, Merovingian archaeology, and
irregular tactics in modern warfare.

***

--Ursula Whitcher.

William Stein

May 26, 2018, 11:00:26 AM5/26/18
to sage-devel
On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Ursula Whitcher <u...@umich.edu> wrote:
> On 5/25/2018 11:26 AM, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> I can't / wont read it because of the paywall. Can you copy/paste the
>> paragraph that mentions Sage? (or screenshot it). Fair use of small
>> excerpts...
>

> Math Intelligencer changed the biographies to third-person; my draft was:

Thanks! And of course I did read your article once you posted the
arxiv link. I'm really, really glad AMS supported
your working on that article.

William