missing emails from trac

Sébastien Labbé

Aug 26, 2016, 11:22:45 AM8/26/16
to sage-devel
Bonjour sage-devel,

I am not receiving emails notification from new posted comments on trac tickets I'm involved in. Or maybe there is a delay to receive them?

Sébastien

leif

Aug 26, 2016, 2:43:28 PM8/26/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, I occasionally get them out-of-order (even for the same ticket).

It happened once (I noticed) I definitely didn't get a notification for
an ordinary post on a ticket, but that was perhaps a couple of weeks ago.

Closure notifications seem still to be a problem, I did get exactly
/one/ for the tickets merged into 7.4.beta1, while I was cc'ed /
participated in a couple.

-leif

Daniel Krenn

Aug 26, 2016, 3:16:33 PM8/26/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-08-26 17:22, Sébastien Labbé wrote:
> I am not receiving emails notification from new posted comments on trac
> tickets I'm involved in. Or maybe there is a delay to receive them?

I've gotten a couple of them today, so I cannot confirm this. However, I
was always creator of the tickets...

Daniel

Travis Scrimshaw

Aug 26, 2016, 4:34:49 PM8/26/16
to sage-devel
I get them, but with a significant lag time.

Best,
Travis

Dima Pasechnik

Aug 26, 2016, 4:54:59 PM8/26/16
to sage-devel, Harald Schilly, sagemath-admins
This might be related to DKIM, some kind of misconfiguration delaying things:

For each mail sent out I see in /var/log/mail.log a message like

    trac postfix/smtpd[12253]: warning: connect to Milter service inet:localhost:8891: Connection refused

Harald, do you have an idea what this might be?

Dima

Harald Schilly

Aug 28, 2016, 2:13:18 PM8/28/16
to Dima Pasechnik, sage-devel, sagemath-admins
Hi, I've no idea, I've not setup that server and never did something
for DKIM before. To me, it sounds like a configuration issue. Top hit
I got is this SE page, which is most likely what needs to be done:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/74477/postfix-smtpd-warning-connect-to-milter-service-unix-var-run-opendkim-opendki

-- h
--
Harald Schilly -- SageMath, Inc.
https://cloud.sagemath.com

Harald Schilly

Dima Pasechnik

Aug 28, 2016, 6:39:53 PM8/28/16
to sage-devel, sagemat...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 6:13:18 PM UTC, Harald Schilly wrote:
Hi, I've no idea, I've not setup that server and never did something
for DKIM before.

OK, I thought that is had something to do with you doing sendgrid-related
email authentication.
But it does not, it's merely a local quirk (a setting only needed for running a "real"
smtp server, accepting messages from remote clients, etc - not our case).

I ended up just disabling Milter in the postfix config file.

Dima

leif

Aug 30, 2016, 1:20:37 PM8/30/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 6:13:18 PM UTC, Harald Schilly wrote:
>
> Hi, I've no idea, I've not setup that server and never did something
> for DKIM before.
>

> OK, I thought that is had something to do with you doing sendgrid-related
> email authentication.
> But it does not, it's merely a local quirk (a setting only needed for
> running a "real"
> smtp server, accepting messages from remote clients, etc - not our case).
>
> I ended up just disabling Milter in the postfix config file..

FWIW, I now have *significant* delay in (apparently) *all* notifications
from trac, even between those for the same ticket where the comments
were made within a few minutes.

-leif

Dima Pasechnik

Aug 30, 2016, 5:10:38 PM8/30/16
to sage-devel, sagemath-admins

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 5:20:37 PM UTC, leif wrote:
Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 6:13:18 PM UTC, Harald Schilly wrote:
>
>     Hi, I've no idea, I've not setup that server and never did something
>     for DKIM before.
>

> OK, I thought that is had something to do with you doing sendgrid-related
> email authentication.
> But it does not, it's merely a local quirk (a setting only needed for
> running a "real"
> smtp server, accepting messages from remote clients, etc - not our case).
>
> I ended up just disabling Milter in the postfix config file..

FWIW, I now have *significant* delay in (apparently) *all* notifications
from trac, even between those for the same ticket where the comments
were made within a few minutes.

please post (or email me)  headers in an example of your message.

IMHO we cannot do much here, besides changing the provider (sendgrid),
or setting up a dedicated (virtual) host somewhere one can still send emails out
in a normal way...

Or having a github-style web-based notification mechanism, I don't know whether there
is a trac plugin for this already, or not.

Dima

William Stein

Aug 30, 2016, 5:13:09 PM8/30/16
to sagemath-admins, sage-devel
On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 5:20:37 PM UTC, leif wrote:
>>
>> Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>> >
>> > On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 6:13:18 PM UTC, Harald Schilly wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi, I've no idea, I've not setup that server and never did something
>> > for DKIM before.
>> >

>> > OK, I thought that is had something to do with you doing
>> > sendgrid-related
>> > email authentication.
>> > But it does not, it's merely a local quirk (a setting only needed for
>> > running a "real"
>> > smtp server, accepting messages from remote clients, etc - not our
>> > case).
>> >
>> > I ended up just disabling Milter in the postfix config file..
>>
>> FWIW, I now have *significant* delay in (apparently) *all* notifications
>> from trac, even between those for the same ticket where the comments
>> were made within a few minutes.
>

> please post (or email me) headers in an example of your message.
>
> IMHO we cannot do much here, besides changing the provider (sendgrid),

Switching providers is definitely an option if somebody (not me) will
do (all of) the work. And it doesn't have to be free -- we're paying
a little for Sendgrid, and that's fine.
> --
>
> ---

William (http://wstein.org)

Harald Schilly

Aug 30, 2016, 5:15:52 PM8/30/16
On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> besides changing the provider (sendgrid)

hmm, are you sure it's related to sendgrid? maybe there is some
setting that can be tweaked? I don't know anything about this "Milter"
thing or what it is really supposed to be doing, though.

-- harald

Dima Pasechnik

Aug 30, 2016, 5:22:16 PM8/30/16
to sagemath-admins, sage-devel
Milter has nothing to do with this, it's meant as an extra security
add-on between trac smtp server and whoever uses it to send mail
through it. In our case it's only trac that sends mails though it, and
we trust it...

> -- harald

leif

Aug 30, 2016, 5:55:08 PM8/30/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 5:20:37 PM UTC, leif wrote:
>
> FWIW, I now have *significant* delay in (apparently) *all*
> notifications
> from trac, even between those for the same ticket where the comments
> were made within a few minutes.
>

> please post (or email me) headers in an example of your message.

Thanks, but that was probably exceptional. (I noticed receiving
notifications for three consecutive comments with a delay of about 30,
60, and 90 minutes, while they were made within 13 minutes.)

I now received some further notifications (from different tickets and
not by me) "in time", so I'll wait and see how it behaves the next days.

(Before we switched to sendgrid, I received the notifications often
before the trac page was reloaded... :-) )

-leif

leif

Aug 30, 2016, 7:02:32 PM8/30/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
leif wrote:
> Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 5:20:37 PM UTC, leif wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I now have *significant* delay in (apparently) *all*
>> notifications
>> from trac, even between those for the same ticket where the comments
>> were made within a few minutes.
>>

>> please post (or email me) headers in an example of your message.
>
> Thanks, but that was probably exceptional. (I noticed receiving
> notifications for three consecutive comments with a delay of about 30,
> 60, and 90 minutes, while they were made within 13 minutes.)
>
> I now received some further notifications (from different tickets and
> not by me) "in time", so I'll wait and see how it behaves the next days.

P.S.: Looking at the headers, the delay happened *within* sendgrid, so
there's presumably nothing we can (or have to) do, other than perhaps
changing the provider in case the situation worsens.

-leif

Jeroen Demeyer

Aug 31, 2016, 5:03:41 AM8/31/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-08-30 23:10, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> please post (or email me) headers in an example of your message.

Just an example of one notification with a small delay. Here you see a
delay of 6 minutes (note the different timezone, CEST==UTC+2).

[...]
2016-08-31 08:52:09.465745637 +0000 UTC
[...]

Jeroen Demeyer

Aug 31, 2016, 5:06:22 AM8/31/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-08-30 23:10, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> please post (or email me) headers in an example of your message.

Here is a worse example, a delay of 2 hours and 40 minutes:

2016-08-30 17:57:45.109316281 +0000 UTC

Erik Bray

Aug 31, 2016, 8:52:09 AM8/31/16
to sage-devel
I wonder if it has to do with the destination too though (albeit not
entirely either, since as you wrote it used to work fine for you).
Some combination of sendgrid and the destination then.

Trac e-mails arrive in my gmail, as you said, sometimes before the web
page is even done reloading. Haven't had a single problem.

leif

Aug 31, 2016, 9:02:48 AM8/31/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I'd rather guess it depends (besides sysload and traffic of course) on
the /content/ of the messages, I have no idea what
filterfoo*.sendgrid.net does though. (The delayed trac messages seemed
harmless, didn't even contain links other than those added by trac IIRC.)

-leif