Error compiling Sage: undefined symbol GC_move_disappearing_link

Luca De Feo

Feb 16, 2018, 6:33:22 PM2/16/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm having trouble compiling 8.2.beta5 on Arch. Compiling with `make
build -k`: flint and r fail, because of some weird missing symbol in
libguile-2.2

make: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libguile-2.2.so.1: undefined
symbol: GC_move_disappearing_link

I don't even understand where Guile is supposed to be used. I can
compile flint alone without problems. Any ideas?

I'm attaching the logs.

Cheers,
Luca
r-3.4.3.p0.log
flint-2.5.2.p1.log

François Bissey

Feb 16, 2018, 7:52:13 PM2/16/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
We have already seen that before, in the last month I think. Your version
of make is compiled with guile support.
The compilation breaks because “make" itself breaks. flint and R use
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in their build system and make loses touch with some
of the libraries it has been compiled with in favour of some in
SAGE_LOCAL/lib/

François
> --
> <r-3.4.3.p0.log><flint-2.5.2.p1.log>

Luca De Feo

Feb 20, 2018, 7:16:53 AM2/20/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
> We have already seen that before, in the last month I think. Your version
> of make is compiled with guile support.
> The compilation breaks because “make" itself breaks. flint and R use
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH in their build system and make loses touch with some
> of the libraries it has been compiled with in favour of some in
> SAGE_LOCAL/lib/

I'm not sure I fully understand the explanation. Which library does
`make` lose touch with? Guile? There is lo libguile in SAGE_LOCAL/lib.

Anyway, do you know a fix?

Thanks,
Luca

Vincent Delecroix

Feb 20, 2018, 7:23:45 AM2/20/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Bonjour Luca,

On 17/02/2018 00:32, Luca De Feo wrote:
> I'm having trouble compiling 8.2.beta5 on Arch. Compiling with `make
> build -k`: flint and r fail, because of some weird missing symbol in
> libguile-2.2
>
> make: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libguile-2.2.so.1: undefined
> symbol: GC_move_disappearing_link
>
> I don't even understand where Guile is supposed to be used. I can
> compile flint alone without problems. Any ideas?

Please have a look at

https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/24575

Vincent

Vincent Delecroix

Feb 20, 2018, 7:28:27 AM2/20/18
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
And concerning a fix, have a look at the attached patch.

Vincent
disable-gc.patch

Dima Pasechnik

Feb 20, 2018, 8:34:37 AM2/20/18
to sage-devel
This patch will break ecl, and so everything that uses Lisp: maxima (and quite a bit of calulus) first of all.

The core problem is wrong library versioning on your Linux systems, I gather, it has nothing to do with gc.

Vincent