Incorrect links to external references in doc build

Erik Bray

Jul 26, 2016, 12:52:29 PM7/26/16
to sage-devel
Hi all,

I recently completed a run of `make doc`, after which I ran the tests,
and there's a test that's failing:

$ ./sage -t src/doc/common/conf.py
too many failed tests, not using stored timings
Running doctests with ID 2016-07-26-18-50-41-ca650119.
Git branch: cygwin
Using --optional=mpir,python2,sage
Doctesting 1 file.
sage -t src/doc/common/conf.py
File "src/doc/common/conf.py", line 615, in doc.common.conf.call_intersphinx
Failed example:
for line in open(thematic_index).readlines():
if "padics" in line:
sys.stdout.write(line)
Expected:
<li><a class="reference external"
href="../reference/padics/sage/rings/padics/tutorial.html#sage-rings-padics-tutorial"
title="(in Sage Reference Manual: p-Adics ...)"><span>Introduction to
Got:
<li><a class="reference external"
href="../reference/plot3d/sage/rings/padics/tutorial.html#sage-rings-padics-tutorial"
title="(in Sage Reference Manual: 3D Graphics
1 item had failures:
1 of 4 in doc.common.conf.call_intersphinx
[3 tests, 1 failure, 0.01 s]
sage -t src/doc/common/conf.py # 1 doctest failed

A close look shows that the link for the p-adics tutorial is totally
wrong, and as is the text in the title tag. Upon inspecting the HTML
file I found several other links for external references are wrong as
well.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone encountered this before? This is
on Cygwin but it's hard to see how it would matter...

Thanks,
Erik

Paul Masson

Jul 26, 2016, 3:20:16 PM7/26/16
to sage-devel
This Trac ticket looks related: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21044

Jeroen Demeyer

Jul 27, 2016, 2:06:29 AM7/27/16
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-07-26 18:52, Erik Bray wrote:
> Is this a known issue? Has anyone encountered this before?
Given that it's caught by a doctest, probably not. I added that doctest
specifically while working on Sphinx-related tickets to ensure that
links would work.

Erik Bray

Jul 27, 2016, 2:13:48 AM7/27/16
to sage-devel
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 9:20 PM, Paul Masson <paulm...@comcast.net> wrote:
> This Trac ticket looks related: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21044

Thanks--I agree, that looks possibly related. I'm working on investigating...

Erik Bray

Jul 27, 2016, 2:16:45 AM7/27/16
to sage-devel
Given https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/21044, it may not just be me.
This seems kind of similar--the link is mysteriously incorrect. The
way Sage's docs are built in parallel by default, I've found, can lead
to a lot of inconsistencies in outcome. For example, I've found a lot
of issues in the docs that occur when building them in serial, in a
single process, that don't show up in parallel builds mostly by
chance.