Renaming of SacGRU

Steve

Apr 7, 2014, 6:33:44 PM4/7/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ladies and Gents!

As noted in the meeting we are looking to move the group forward with a new name.  I'm hoping to have a final decision by May.

We want to convey the idea of a multi programming language and platform group.  One that uses Java, Ruby, Python and on the weekend uses hipster languages, Go, Kotlin, Gosu, Scala, Clojure, Erlang.

Basically we need a new full name and a new Acronym or shortened name.  Here are some possibilities.  Please write in additional possibilities or vote for these:

1 - The Sacramento Polyglot Programmers - SacPolyProg
2 - The Sacramento Polyglot Developers - PolyDev
3 - The Sacramento Alternative Language Developers - AltDev
4 - The Sacramento Groovy and alternative JVM language group - SacGRU

Please feel free to suggest any alternatives.  We can vote for the final name combination next month.

Thanks!

-Steve

Brian Lavender

Apr 7, 2014, 6:40:11 PM4/7/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
> Please feel free to suggest any alternatives.

Java, number two?

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

Professor C. A. R. Hoare
The 1980 Turing award lecture
signature.asc

Gurin, Joshua K.

Apr 7, 2014, 6:48:05 PM4/7/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
What about SacJVMLG (JVM Language Group)?

Denotes a difference from same GRU name (so people outside the group know there has been a change).
And new group name then suggests inherently towards content (so new people might be motivated to attend meetings without knowing more than just the group name)?

-2 cents
This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic mail or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank you.

Matthew Faulkner

Apr 8, 2014, 10:01:38 AM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
other group names...

sacvmug - Sacramento Virtual Machine User Group
sacvlug - Sacramento Virtual Language User Group
sacvlang - Sacramento Virtual Language Group

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/sacgru.

Steven Holmes

Apr 8, 2014, 1:35:19 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Good suggestions but we're opening up the group to Non-JVM languages such as JavaScript, Ruby, and Go.
--
Steve Holmes

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
-Mark Twain (or maybe Abraham Lincoln, I've heard both)

Mark Eschbach

Apr 8, 2014, 1:38:30 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been able to make it out recently so I'm not sure if my vote counts; however I would vote for SacPolyProg.  I like how PolyProg is at least in the ball park of Polyglot.
Thank you;

Mark Eschbach
System Analyst && Software Developer

(916) 538-3760
mailto: "Mark Eschbach" <mesc...@gmail.com>
http://meschbach.com/

Steven Holmes

Apr 8, 2014, 1:40:00 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
There is also a term "PolyGlot and Poly-Paradigm(meaning functional, Object Oriented, Declarative, Responsive, etc.)".  Here is a guy we should probably have speak at our group if we can:

http://www.polyglotprogramming.com/

Steven Holmes

Apr 8, 2014, 1:40:28 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mark, your vote counts if you agree to give a talk on Erlang sometime.

Mark Eschbach

Apr 8, 2014, 1:48:29 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
He sounded good until he mentioned Emacs (Cheap opportunity to evoke some eye rolling ;-p !).  I'll have to check out the site a little closer later.

I would gladly give a talk on Erlang, and possibly NodeJS for Polyglot/PolyParadigm progs if there is some interest.

Steven Holmes

Apr 8, 2014, 1:51:07 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Yes and yes

Tom Parker

Apr 8, 2014, 2:04:25 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mark,
We were thinking of doing the Sac Polyglot Pogrammers
 until we realized we would be then called Sac PP. We decided it wouldn't be cool to tell people we were off to our Sac PP meeting. hmmmm....

Then someone sugested Sac Polyglot Developers. We thought that might be cool since we could have t-shirts printed saying Sac PD on them. That would be kind of cool.... unless you happen to be walking down K street. hmmm.....

Aria Kraft

Apr 8, 2014, 2:08:47 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Mark, I'd be interested in attending talks of both Erlang and NodeJS.

On the naming, I kinda like AltDev myself. It reminds me of the Usenet days.
PolyDev doesn't sound too bad either. Would MultiDev work too?

Steven Holmes

Apr 8, 2014, 2:20:08 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
It would be easy enough to have a name like, "The Sacramento Alternative Development Enthusiasts" with a handle of "AltDev" or the like.  We could explain that we are the polyglot and poly-paradigm group of Sacramento in our summary.

Brian Lavender

Apr 8, 2014, 2:22:53 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
You guys can call it whatever you like. I don't know if you have ever
checked out this one.

The 90 Minute Scheme to C compiler
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/349

BTW, I am still hanging in #sacgru and there doesn't seem to be anyone else.

Actually, I have my book titled, "The Little Schemer". It's a fun book
that slowly takes you through different constructs.

brian

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 11:08:47AM -0700, Aria Kraft wrote:
> [...]
> > 2. mailto:[18]sac...@googlegroups.com
> > 3. [19]http://groups.google.com/group/sacgru
> > 4. [20]https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> --
> Brian Lavender
> [21]http://www.brie.com/brian/
> "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
> make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the
> other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious
> deficiencies."
> Professor C. A. R. Hoare
> The 1980 Turing award lecture
>
> This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain
> information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise
> protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended
> recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic mail or
> its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the
> intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received
> this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail
> so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the
> original message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank
> you.
>
> --
>
> --
>
> --
> Steve Holmes
> "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a
> fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
> -Mark Twain (or maybe Abraham Lincoln, I've heard both)
>
> --
>
> --
> Thank you;
> Mark Eschbach
> System Analyst && Software Developer
> [34](916) 538-3760
> mailto: "Mark Eschbach" <[35]mesc...@gmail.com>
> [36]http://meschbach.com/
>
> --
>
> --
> Steve Holmes
> "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a
> fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
> -Mark Twain (or maybe Abraham Lincoln, I've heard both)
>
> --
> Steve Holmes
> "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a
> fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
> -Mark Twain (or maybe Abraham Lincoln, I've heard both)
>
> --
>
> --
> Thank you;
> Mark Eschbach
> System Analyst && Software Developer
> [45](916) 538-3760
> mailto: "Mark Eschbach" <[46]mesc...@gmail.com>
> [47]http://meschbach.com/
>
> --
>
> --
> Steve Holmes
> "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a
> fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
> -Mark Twain (or maybe Abraham Lincoln, I've heard both)

signature.asc

Steven Holmes

Apr 8, 2014, 2:35:21 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
We're still waiting for Brian's Scheme presentation.

Chris Scheuble

Apr 8, 2014, 4:40:13 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com

saccafe.org

saccafebabe.org

sachacks.org

sacdev.org = National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition

sacsoftlang.org

sacdevops.org

sacjvmbrew.org

sacgroup.org = squatter

sacdevgroup.org

sacit.org

sacjit.org

sacruntime.org

sactech.org (times out)

(I didn’t check the dns on these,  just checked if a page shows up.)

Chris.

Steven Holmes

Apr 8, 2014, 4:56:51 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Personally I'm voting for saccafebabe.org.

Tom Parker

Apr 8, 2014, 6:29:02 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Remember, you'll be escorted off the premises if you ask for sugar

Brian Lavender

Apr 8, 2014, 7:55:47 PM4/8/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I did not know you were waiting for a scheme presentation. I have to
bury this Android game development. I keep finding things that I need
to fix. The walking music man seems to be somewhat of an issue. When
you pause the game, the music keeps playing! I am hoping the SDL guys
can fix it.... I really don't want to have to dig into JNI.

But, I think you should pick a name close to the compiler tools like
the related to the following:

flex - fast lexical analyzer
yacc - yet another compiler compiler
bison - closely related to the yack animal
antlr - Another Tool for Language Recognition
saclag - sacramento language analysis group

or a recursive acronym, cause most interesting tools are based upon
a simple concept yet gain their strength through the process of
induction.

or perhaps a play on Kleen Star.

Kleen Star Java

or perhaps,

"What's your production production?"

or perhaps

"SAC show me your CFG"
Context Free Grammar

or perhaps,

CFG? We have Context Sensitive Constructs!

Now I am getting a bit esoteric. Why is there no one in IRC on #sacgru?

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 11:35:21AM -0700, Steven Holmes wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Good suggestions but we're opening up the group to Non-JVM
> languages
> > such as JavaScript, Ruby, and Go.
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Matthew Faulkner
> <[8][10]ima...@gmail.com>
>
> > wrote:
> >
> > other group names...
> > sacvmug - Sacramento Virtual Machine User Group
> > sacvlug - Sacramento Virtual Language User Group
> > sacvlang - Sacramento Virtual Language Group
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Gurin, Joshua K.
>
> > <[9][11]jgu...@teksystems.com> wrote:
> >
> > What about SacJVMLG (JVM Language Group)?
> > Denotes a difference from same GRU name (so people outside the
> group
> > know there has been a change).
> > And new group name then suggests inherently towards content (so
> new
> > people might be motivated to attend meetings without knowing

signature.asc

Steve

Apr 14, 2014, 3:10:17 PM4/14/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
So we've sort of stalled.  Here are a couple names:

SacALE Alternative Language Enthusiasts

Sacramento APPDev Alternative Polyglot and multi-Paradigm Developers

Any other thoughts?  Do you like these?

Tom Parker

Apr 14, 2014, 3:38:35 PM4/14/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if we stalled. I feel a bit overwhelmed with the choices. Why don't we list all the potential names and have people vote. If you send an email with the subject as the name, gmail will count. Or atleast tell you how many emails were received for that subject. LOL

Steven Holmes

Apr 14, 2014, 4:21:20 PM4/14/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
I agree completely.  I was sort of planning on next meeting choosing a name but I would hate for members who can't make it to miss on their vote.  Please list out any choices and I will consolidate them a week or so prior to the 1st of May (our next meeting) and let folks vote.

Steven Holmes

Apr 14, 2014, 4:22:44 PM4/14/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
I have another:

PAPPiESac (like Hackey Sac) Polyglot and Alternative Programming Paradigm Enthusiasts of Sacramento.

"Who's your Pappie?"

Gurin, Joshua K.

Apr 14, 2014, 8:44:30 PM4/14/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com

Please tell me the eventual name for the group ends up with the word ‘ALE’ in it … |~]  Keeps in line with the Burgers N’ Brew thing for sure.

So we've sort of stalled.  Here are a couple names:

Mark Eschbach

Apr 14, 2014, 8:46:32 PM4/14/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
All Languages and Environments?  That sounds awesome.  SacALE sounds a little strange though!
--
Thank you;

Mark Eschbach
System Analyst && Software Developer

Steven Holmes

Apr 14, 2014, 10:36:52 PM4/14/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Seems like I'm hearing votes for PAPPiESac

Mike Jackson

Apr 15, 2014, 4:29:29 PM4/15/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com
Why put Sac in the name?  Just use the S, and then it'd be SALE.  That kind of works given that anyone who attends is being sold on the idea of using a plethora of languages.

--mike
-=-----
mike jackson
This message encrypted in Double-ROT-13 for your safety and security.

Arguments about the second amendment used to revolve around whether guns keep us free. These days, however, they're all about whether guns keep us safe. Something significant has already been lost, even if we still have the right to bear arms.

bob r

Apr 15, 2014, 5:27:45 PM4/15/14
to sac...@googlegroups.com

I like it!  Good job, MJ!