Breaking news from SARBN

Trevor Hardaker

Jun 24, 2015, 6:42:04 AM6/24/15
to sa-rare...@googlegroups.com

A bit of an odd situation and perhaps some of the Pietermaritzburg locals might be able to check it out – I have been Whatsapp’ed some photos of 2 raptors photographed yesterday right across the road from the African Bird of Prey Centre close to 29 deg 40’ 35.8” S 30 deg 30’ 50.1” E. The one bird is certainly an immature GREATER KESTREL and the other is a juvenile CHANTING GOSHAWK, although it is difficult to work out from the available photo whether it is a Pale or Dark CG, but “feels” more like a Pale Chanter. The birds have been seen and photographed by Shannon Hoffmann and Andre van Sittert. Both species would be incredibly unusual in this part of the province and the fact that they were both right at the BoP Centre raises some questions too. However, the Centre has apparently confirmed that both of their Greater Kestrels are still accounted for and they don’t have any Chanting Goshawks there.

A rather bizarre situation indeed…

Kind regards

Trevor

Trevor Hardaker

Jun 25, 2015, 3:02:13 PM6/25/15
to SA Rare Bird News

EURASIAN OYSTERCATCHER – news has just filtered through of a bird that was photographed on 14 June at Cebe, north of Kei mouth, in the Eastern Cape and it was apparently still there until at least Tuesday. Thanks to Stewart MacLachlan for passing on the news and photos which he only got this evening as well. Stewart is trying to get further updates on the bird and I will share the news here as soon as I receive it.

Kind regards

Trevor