SARBN: Malagasy Pond Heron

Trevor Hardaker

Jul 31, 2017, 3:48:32 AM7/31/17
to SA Rare Bird News
Greetings all SARBN subscribers,

For those of you that have not yet managed to get to the MALAGASY POND HERON at Mziki to add this mega bird to your lists, I have some potentially good news for you. I have been contacted this morning by Mziki and, since they realise that this is such a special bird that lots of birders would like to see and that the opportunities to go on the game drives with Phinda have now come to an end, they have decided to offer 2 more opportunities to see this bird. They will be putting on a morning game drive at 7am on Saturday, 5 August 2017 and another morning game drive at 7am on Saturday, 12 August 2017. There will be no charge for these game drives but those of you that take up the opportunities might consider giving a small donation towards the fuel used on the drive (or whatever other cause you see fit).

Whatever the case, I would like to thank the owners and management at the Mziki shareblock for offering this opportunity and I’m sure many birders are going to appreciate it. For those of you that would like to take up this last opportunity to see the bird, you can contact the Mziki office directly at 062 501 7610 and speak to either Johan or Fiona to make your booking. Please bear in mind that the office only has a cell number and, sometimes, reception in the area is not all that great. Johan has also confirmed that the bird is still present there this morning!

While on the subject of KZN birds, Ivor van Rooyen has also let me know that the BAT HAWK was still present this morning at Nsumo Pan in Mkuze Game Reserve as well and was viewable from the middle hide.

Good luck to everyone going for either of these birds!

Kind regards
Trevor