CNC Tools Accuracy

Devin DuMont

Aug 7, 2017, 2:52:00 PM8/7/17
to 10BitWorks
I'm looking to machine some sprockets from G-10 fiberglass and 6061 Aluminum. Does anyone know or have any experience with the tolerances capable on our CNC router or either of the two CNC mills?

tookys3

Aug 7, 2017, 3:20:54 PM8/7/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Devin DuMont
I wouldn't use the Shapeoko for cutting aluminum, it's needing some TLC for use even on wood.

Light Machines Cnc router, is currently non-functional, needing a new control circuit to be installed.

Dyna Myte CNC Mill has a 6in X 4 in X 4 in cut area, should be able to hold +/- .001in as long as the part is fixtured properly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone

Sue Baldor

I'm looking to machine some sprockets from G-10 fiberglass and 6061 Aluminum. Does anyone know or have any experience with the tolerances capable on our CNC router or either of the two CNC mills?

Devin DuMont

Aug 8, 2017, 3:19:35 PM8/8/17
to 10BitWorks
What's the name of the program for the Dyna Myte? How do you develop G-Code from a DXF or solid works file? Is there a corner in the new space that can become CNC Land?

tookys3

Aug 8, 2017, 4:13:12 PM8/8/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Devin DuMont
The control software is called Mach 3,

We currently don't have a G-code generator to recommend.

CNC land will need to be discussed at the next board meeting.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone

Kevin Baldor

Aug 8, 2017, 5:46:57 PM8/8/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Devin DuMont
I have an educational copy of Fusion360 that can generate tool paths. I'm not sure that they are the best paths though it could be that there are ways to improve the paths that I have yet to learn.

Sent from my iPhone

Don Smeller

Aug 10, 2017, 6:07:39 PM8/10/17
to 10BitWorks
We’ll never know if we took the best path.  Also look at CAMotics.

Don Smeller

Aug 10, 2017, 6:17:54 PM8/10/17
to 10BitWorks
I did some puttering with the DynaMite and got it to move and cut and follow commands and stuff.
Let’s learn it together when we get the move off our plates.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/CAPXo%3DmkeOqS7gOBbB1E_suH%2BXS54CAwp6ymzABEAboiMidbMCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Peggy Guillory

Aug 10, 2017, 7:29:08 PM8/10/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller