Hi. I'm new here. Thought i'd share my first 10Bit-Build with you...

Native Texan

Aug 20, 2017, 3:23:05 AM8/20/17
to 10BitWorks
Hi all. My name is Mike. I just joined up. I don't know how often I'll cross paths with a lot of you as I have a busy schedule and will probably be at the shop late at night. Anyway, here's what I did with my first day. Took me 9 hours and finished up at 1AM. A very sturdy footlocker. It's a proof of concept to prove to myself I can build the bigger versions no problem. I wanna build one half again as big topped with glass so I can put my photography under it and can serve as my coffee table. The second one will be a trunk designed to carry around my framed prints when I take them to shows or sales.

Approx $80 in materials. And yes, it's being propped open. The lid can't support it's own weight. The larger version will use larger pieces of wood and allow for more support of the lid when fully open. But when closed, it can hold all 400# of my awesome self. :-p
20915188_455694671453367_2644967458771111475_n.jpg
20953432_455694668120034_4248031272489373705_n.jpg

Les Hall

Aug 20, 2017, 5:43:45 AM8/20/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of nativetexan210
That's a clean build and the new space looks humongous!

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 2:23 AM, Native Texan via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQeaskR6zi7O1...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Chris Hardee

Aug 20, 2017, 10:54:32 AM8/20/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of nativetexan210
That looks really great!

[...]

10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace

Kevin Baldor

Native Texan

Aug 20, 2017, 4:07:58 PM8/20/17
to 10BitWorks
Never saw the old site but from what I hear it is a MASSIVE upgrade in floor space. There is plenty of room to spread out and build. Go check it out.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 2:23 AM, Native Texan via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQeaskR6zi7O1zPHN06jBeRg0UpS-r6slr93pOb0e4-vN@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Native Texan

Aug 20, 2017, 4:12:33 PM8/20/17
to 10BitWorks
No, I don't think a trim will be necessary on the larger that I intend to make a coffee table. Maybe on the one I make to transport my artwork though. I think that'll just be a crate. I think building a trunk like this, equal in size to half a refrigerator will be overkill. Then again, the only difference really would be the lid. the box construction would probably be similar. Maybe with a crossbeam from corner to corner.

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 11:25:08 AM UTC-5, Kevin Baldor wrote:
Wow! that turned out great. The trim adds a lot of visual interest. Will you also be adding metal to the trim for the full-sized one?

Sent from my iPad

john vanhoozer

Aug 22, 2017, 4:33:40 PM8/22/17
to 10BitWorks