Gnu Don's Raspberry Pi Maker Camp - Item of Interest.

Matt Grooms

May 2, 2015, 11:48:49 AM5/2/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Gnu Don, Looking forward to your RPI camp and have been trying to follow the discussions on RPI classroom equipment. Have been doing the mental exercise of selecting the perfect LCD monitor for PRI classroom systems. The desirable attributes seem to be:
1) used, 15"-19”, keep the investment as low as possible.
2) multiple video inputs (HDMI only available on newer $$ Models), DVI works with an HDMI->DVI adapter cable $9, composite input found on some models
3) integrated speakers a real plus; HP & Dell sound bars for compatible models available for about $10 each.
4) integrated USB hub a real plus, available on many models. Not sure if theses are typically passive hubs or powered. If powered the hub could power the RPI, eliminating another power source.
5) Available VESA mounting holes - RPI can be mounted on an laser cut acrylic plate that’s attached to the VESA holes. Gets the clutter up off the desk and allows for neater wiring. While a plus for a lot of PRI classroom settings, if you’re doing maker-stuff, connecting to GPIO, camera, LCD, etc then VESA mounting is a liability as everything you want to touch is hidden on the back of the monitor.

OK, now the item of interest. IF you’re interested in VESA mounted RPI’s, and IF your classroom setup is using model A or B RPI’s, then there is a SMOKIN deal on VESA mounting plates at MCM Electronics  Its a closeout type deal, not sure how long they will be around, but at $1.20 each it’s a steal. When you factor in machine expense and human time, that’s cheaper than we can cut them ourselves. Quantity 20 @ $1.20 plus $7.99 shipping = $31.99.

Grimey

Don Wright

May 2, 2015, 1:22:30 PM5/2/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Matt Grooms wrote:

>OK, now the item of interest. IF you’re interested in VESA mounted RPI’s, and IF your classroom setup is using model A or B RPI’s, then there is a SMOKIN deal on VESA mounting plates at MCM Electronics Its a closeout type deal, not sure how long they will be around, but at $1.20 each it’s a steal. When you factor in machine expense and human time, that’s cheaper than we can cut them ourselves. Quantity 20 @ $1.20 plus $7.99 shipping = $31.99.
>Grimey

I have five (5) of the similar item from Adafruit I will donate to
10Bit. (free delivery later today unless I hear otherwise)
http://www.adafruit.com/product/986

They were originally $10 each, plus shipping. --DonW

Don Davis

May 2, 2015, 6:36:41 PM5/2/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Hey Grimey,

Thank you.

I continued to pilot the class today.

The plans for the class are:
1. It is primarily an introduction to making
What is typically labeled making is combining electronics with
electronic components and other physical elements.

As such the plan it to have an introduction to "making" with RPis.

The plan is being refined through the pilot.

I've ordered several MakeyMakeys. I was starting to doubt the wisdom of
this -- but they're fun and nascent beginners need help with circuits.

This can transition easily to using RPi with GPios and some simple
circuits.

Initially, I'd looked at using Google Coder ... Though Google Coder
seems cool - it's pretty specific to a pre-packaged HTML+ CSS+JS+ Node
format. Using GPIOs this way seems more complicated than simple Python
programs.

More than JavaScript, it seems the interest and advantage of RPis is the
GPIOs.

So the thought is ->

MakeyMakey -> PiBrella -> Python + GPIOs

FWIW, I have now ordered 10 DELL monitors with USB hubs for the Pi Class.

I have >10 RPi 2s.

The instruction is being refined and input from the community is
definitely useful and requested.

best,

gnudon