Looking for teal acrylic

Greg Bluntzer

Apr 16, 2015, 1:46:46 PM4/16/15
to sa-hackerspace

Wife is wanting to make some items on the laser cutter.
Two Questions.
1)What are the names of the places where you guys are getting the acrylic
2)While you where there did you see any teal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teal)

Chris Hardee

Apr 16, 2015, 1:57:27 PM4/16/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer
San Antonio Plastic Supply

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace

Mike Garis

Apr 16, 2015, 3:14:01 PM4/16/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
There looks to be a number of places online as well, something like

I have been looking but have not ordered anything yet though.

- Mike G.

Craig

Apr 16, 2015, 7:17:01 PM4/16/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 12:46:46 PM UTC-5, Greg Bluntzer wrote:

Wife is wanting to make some items on the laser cutter.
Two Questions.
1)What are the names of the places where you guys are getting the acrylic
As noted by Chris, San Antonio Plastics Supply.

2)While you where there did you see any teal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teal)

Matt Grooms

Apr 16, 2015, 8:35:40 PM4/16/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Greg,

Been buying from Regal Plastics on Rittiman Rd for a number of years. A large regional chain they have it all, in stock, or can order. Their scrap pile is through a door between the showroom and warehouse. $2 /pound for scrap.

Plastic Supply on Josephene is a bit smaller, but really nice people. I don’t know what they have in stock, but went through their scrap table (in the showroom) Wednesday and picked out what few colored pieces that were there (amber, green, red, and smoke) am using it for 10bitworks fiesta medals (see the pin board at the space for samples of those colors). Plastic supply’s scrap pile goes for fifty-cents /pound on the top shelf, and $1.50 /pound for the bottom shelf.

There’s at least one more plastic supplier I know of in town. Outside of 35/410 at Rittiman Rd, north on the feeder road, there is a street to the right (east) that goes back into a light industrial park. Down that street and on the right side, sorry don’t recall the name. I bought some CoroPlast sheets from them, but never any acrylic.

Matt

Don Smeller

Apr 16, 2015, 10:37:07 PM4/16/15
to 10BitWorks
I like to go to Regal Plastics  4041 Rittiman Rd, San Antonio, TX 78218.  They have a scrap and remnant area where you can scrounge, find something, and pay a reduced price.  Also, I have a can of Teal paint of the ONE SHOT brand.  If you’re into adding accents to an area that (say) was etched, that might look kinda cool.