Oodles of Googles and the Derailment of the Train of Thought

Les Hall

May 18, 2017, 8:08:23 PM5/18/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Les Hall
History:  a while ago, maybe a few years at most, a friend and I thought up this cool software that would monitor your content - what you typed, images, songs, just all the whatever you did - and stream related content via your computer’s interface.  So if you were to read about gardening and bought some gardening equipment, this software would take note of that and maybe send images about gardening at you.  It was to be kind of like targeted advertising but in a wanted sort of way.  I think we called it “Train of Thought” or “Stream of Consciousness” or something like that.  I wrote a simple prototype of it in AppleScript and convinced a skilled AppleScript developer to put some time into it, but I didn’t really have much knowledge about how to pursue the development of it.

Today:  So now a few hours ago I found myself once again searching to find out if one of my ideas had been done before.  Sure, there is nothing new under the sun, but there are things new to our society bubbling to the surface all the time.  What was needed was like some kind of super-Google, a meta-Google that could search images, audio, my pulse rate, what I ate for breakfast, the patent record for prior art, cultural and historic records, and the price of tea in China - all to tell me if something already existed.

I know you are going to say:  “They have that - it’s called a patent attorney!”.  And you’d be right about that.  What I’m looking for is something free or inexpensive that can do a pretty good job of it.  Maybe fiverr.com or similar can connect me wth individuals who can do this, I’m just looking for something automated.  Any thoughts on the topic?

I haven’t explained it very well actually, things were a lot more focused before when I got the idea.  I may have lost the essence of it.  I also have some other ideas I’d like to share if anyone wants to open a dialogue.

Be well and enjoy the day!
Les

john vanhoozer

May 18, 2017, 9:32:32 PM5/18/17
to 10BitWorks
Not sure about searching images but....

try:   Google Patent Search

I use it more than I care to admit.  Oh, and there is also Google Scholar which will not only look for scholarly papers, but will also include patents in the results if you ask it to.

Les Hall

May 18, 2017, 9:45:36 PM5/18/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of john vanhoozer
Yes, Yes!  This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get, thanks john.  I was aware of the first one, not the second one.  Programming this idea might take the form of identifying these types of web resources and writing software to do meta-searches on them and parse the results intelligently.  Kind of a web-spider meets deep learning AI sort of thing.  The idea is admittedly rather vague at the moment.  It seemed so clear earlier today, like waking up with a clear memory of a dream that quickly fades.

Les

Mike Garis

May 18, 2017, 10:21:32 PM5/18/17
to 10BitWorks
 I thought that the rumors where this was already built into things like the Echo, or apparently Samsung TV's that have been hacked...

Where someone was talking with friends about something then the next time they logged into Amazon found the ad's tuned to what they had been talking about.

Might just be urban myth though, not sure.

- Mike G.